Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: Alternate Cold War

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Commission: Alternate Cold War

Here we have an alternate history map showing, the French forces in a timeline where the French Empire of Napoleon I never collapsed.

I used the world map from the CIA factbook as base for this map. It was a mess to clean up the .pdf file in Illustrator.
    Completely done in Illustrator, three of the four army symbols came from a free set, the ship is my own creation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternate Cold War final reduced.png 
Views:	5701 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	21851  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a beauty. I love the ship symbol.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice!

Am I imagining things, or is your French Empire and French Allies colors backwards in the key?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm seeing it that way, too, D...France is under the control of French Allies and other countries are French.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I am afraid when you look into a "History for Dummies"-type book this map looks like a total piece of crap - kinda alternative-history-babble. I can't even see how Egypt would EVER ally with France... do you have any reasonable story behind this map?

Looks nice, though. And if I succeeded in forgetting all the history lessons, it would look even better...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a little rude, don't you think? Are you even familiar with the concept of alternate history? And the fact that Sapiento said this was a commission, so he's not responsible for thinking up a back-story anyway?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar
    Last edited by ravells; 02-05-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: racism.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

No need to get 'snarky' folks.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Daelin/Hunab,

the purpose of the forum (and this sub-forum in particular) is to discuss the quality of maps. It is not to discuss whether Egypt would ally with France in some alternative history world. If you would like to start a separate thread about this, please feel free to do so on the general discussions board.

Sapiento: Beautiful map and great work vectorising a world map. I've spent an age looking for good vector world maps with borders on the internet ... couldn't find any decent ones. Maybe we should start a library of real world vector maps so the community have a ready resource...I'll put it on my todo list!

best

Ravs

PS.. Daelin...if I see you posting any more racist crap on the boards you're gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast