Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mortiferus Islands

Guild Apprentice

Map The Mortiferus Islands

Greetings!

Long time forum lurker here, but first time poster. I've learned so much from all of you here at the Cartographer's Guild, and I'm hugely indebted to you all for the community and open exchange of ideas. Thanks very much.

And with all of that said, I'm a little nervous to post at all. But, I'm serious about continuing to develop my nascent mapping skills, so I offer you this, for your review and critique: my most recent map, generated entirely in Photoshop using a mouse and keyboard, in approximately 6 hours or so. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments you may have! Happy mapping!

Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skull-Islands-web.gif 
Views:	257 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	21853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skull-Islands-blue.gif 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	21864  
    Last edited by Will; 02-05-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: adding second option: blue water

Wow. Welcome and have some rep from me for posting such a beautifully done map on your first go...the fact that you did it without a tablet makes it even more impressive. I can't say I'd change much of anything about it...though I would love to see a version with blue water. You know, of course, that the landforms are "unlikely" but that doesn't change the fact that it's a great map.
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

that's pretty funky, it's crying out for a pirate campaign!

I love the way you did your forests, very painted look to them, and they fit in well.
    Oh, and what fonts are those! they really work well for the feel!

the only comment I would make towards improvement would be the lines out the in the water along the shorelines. I recognize the technique you're using, and after the first 2 or 3 rings they end up looking very straight in sections. There's been a few discussions on how to address that issue (ripple filters, smoothing the selection at each level, stroking instead of selections, etc). Of course, If you're happy with them being that way, then cool

I don't get why people are so hesitant with posting their first maps.. for many of us, it's one of the best decisions we've made!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now there's a map with a lot of character! I like it a lot - and love the subdued colour scheme. Great work and welcome!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I don't get why people are so hesitant with posting their first maps.. for many of us, it's one of the best decisions we've made!
    Exactly! I mean, look at this one. It's awesome.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected AutumnRain's Avatar

Love it! The color is really nice. I agree that blue water would really make it pop. (I hate coloring water myself though ;P) Though, geographically it's not entirely possible - it's not impossible either.
    Edmond: There are 72,519 stones in my walls. I've counted them many times.
    Abbe Faria: But have you named them yet? ~ The Count of Monte Cristo

Welcome long-time-lurker, that's a great first map you got there. Welcome to the guild, and next time show us a WIP so that you can get feedback (like what Coyotemax just offered) before you're map is done; it will really help to polish your map. Great job though.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The color scheme is very easy on the eyes and very pleasant to look at. I tend to do my oceans in blue but for this I think that the parchment alone really conveys something and that a colored ocean would detract from the "feel" of this map. Good decision and I could probably take a clue from you there in that I don't always need to color everything. The only thing that I really see as a bit weird are the tan dots in the forest - whether those are eraser-holes or non-blurred color adjustments I think that a blur there would go a long way. That's a very minor thing and on the whole it's a great looking map base.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

agreed with coyote about the waves, but otherwise looks great! duly repped

Guild Apprentice

Oh, and what fonts are those! they really work well for the feel!
    The main font is Treasure Map Dead Hand, and the title font is Jellyka, Saint-Andrews Queen. Fun, and free.

the only comment I would make towards improvement would be the lines out the in the water along the shorelines. I recognize the technique you're using, and after the first 2 or 3 rings they end up looking very straight in sections. There's been a few discussions on how to address that issue (ripple filters, smoothing the selection at each level, stroking instead of selections, etc). Of course, If you're happy with them being that way, then cool
    Do you have a link handy to this discussion, because the lines do get a tad geometrical for my taste... I'd be much obliged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast