Thread: New Maps

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Map New Maps

Here's a couple of maps I did for the recently released D&D supplement Exemplars of Evil.

All of the maps I did for the set can be found here:
    Exemplars of Evil Map Gallery

Let me know what you think.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZarFell.jpg 
Views:	6577 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gilgirn.jpg 
Views:	1184 
Size:	717.2 KB 
ID:	981  

I absolutely love Gilgirn! Wow! That combines all the elements that I like to see into one exceptional map. Do you need an apprentice, Master Schley?

Yes, very nice. I think your use of color is really what makes these maps so appealing to me. The orange/red/yellow (whatever that color is) of the Gilgirn map contrasts perfectly with the gray and beige to really make the whole pop and give it a surprising amount of depth.

Can you give us some advice on choosing color pallets? I think that is perhaps one of the weakest areas I have.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I love your desaturated colour choices...well I love all of it actually. Use of patterns without repetition (well none that my eye can see anyway) and the interweaving of your talent for drawing with map-making...these are simply beautiful. I'd love to have one on my wall. :: Edit:: I've just read your comments on Neon Knight's maps...spooky.

It just makes me think how far standards have come since the early (you're probably too young to remember!) days of D&D and 'The Keep on the Borderlands' style of mapping - which in its time had its own charm. It's just such a pity that computer 'rpg' games (in quotes because they basically are not- even the MMORPGs) mean that rpgs don't reach the same volume of audience as before.

I remember the first adventure I wrote and GM'd at school at the age of 16 - The Witch of Zorak. The map was colour pencil on squared paper. Hex paper was golddust then. I was given a third degree interrogation by my housemaster about what this 'Dungeons and Dragons' thing was. I think he still had no idea after I'd explained.

:Edit: Hah, I found a map of the keep on the borderlands on the web. This was the standard of mapping in print published adventures in the early D&D days. Click here

Ravs

Praise Multiple Perspectives Bring the Map to Life

Wow, I love the multiple perspectives that are used in conjunction with the top down traditional map because they supplement and clarify floor plans along with contributing ambiance to the setting. I really enjoy how the ruined towers and their rubble contribute to the less than spotless adventuring locale. Adventurers explore the dangerous and dirty that hardworking everyday persons avoid and your maps convey the need for only the most determined to continue forward.
    "Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."

Atlas Shrugged authored by Ayn Rand

Okay, I freaking give up!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Gorgeous!

I just love your work. Ond oddly enough, I seem to have a bunch of images I think you did (from the WOTC site) downloaded in my "inspiration" and "reference" folders!

-Rob (realizing he can't quit his day job) A>

Excellent work as always, Mike! It's good to have you here.

Now if only the WotC Web team could post maps that size from their products rather than the small ones barely larger than the thumbnail...
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

More than marvelous these artworks.
    May I ask you how you did these maps?
    What software do you use and what steps do you take to get such awesome maps (besides the talents you surely have for doing this).
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community