Thread: The Savage Lands of Caelum

Map The Savage Lands of Caelum

Here is a map that I developed initially using Tear's Saderan tutorial, and eventually adapted to my own style to give the map almost a comic book feel. I plan on using this map for a d20 fantasy campaign that I have just begun.

The air travel and trade will be conducted by balloon ships, and this map is a representation of a printing press style map that is mass produced for free distribution at the various air stations in the appropriate cities.

This is my first real project (done completely in Photoshop) and I spent about a week and a half hammering away at it.

I hope that you enjoy it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caelum-LOFT.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	21900  
    Last edited by Grimmr; 02-06-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Balloon air travel, eh? That's an intriguing concept for a campaign (is this a Steampunk campaign?). Tear's Sedaren influence is is evident (especially in the ocean and mountains, yet you're right, you've injected a fair amount of your own unique vision into this map. Very creative. I'll be honest, I'm not wild about the font. That said, I appreciate that you've managed to develop a map with its own distinctive character out. All in all a very nice first map. Here's a little bit of rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    (is this a Steampunk campaign?)
    Not Steampunk, more lite-magic. The balloon ships will be imbued with some limited magic, since it didn't seem reasonable to me for a balloon to fly in such a straight line at various heights.

Thanks for the good word, and the rep. My next project will be to map some of the cities. I'm excited!

I really like the look of your map. The mountains look good to me and those seem to be the toughest things to get right.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Nice! Very imaginative.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the look of that one. It's really got a pulp-ish R.E. Howard or Doc Savage feel to it. Nice job, and repped.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's really got a pulp-ish R.E. Howard or Doc Savage feel to it.
    EXACTLY what I was going for. It is very gratifying to hear that!