Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Serious Map Attempt

this is looking good and getting better for the sea colors i'd go with a little darker blues, especially further from the shores to indicate some more depth. Also a nice idea on the coastline-waves, makes me curious how they'd look on the colored version... cheers!

More mountain tests. The lines are closer together, and the upward "face" of the mountain has longer lines.

With and without peaks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountaintest06.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	22287

Name:	mountaintest07.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	22288

I think the basic structure of what I'm trying here would work better with better "lashes" - they feel a little artificial, espc. when next to the waviness of the water "woodcut".

Thanks!

Koewn

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Like Coyote says; if ya want it to look hand-drawn ya might as well hand-draw it. So I agree about it looking a bit artificial. It's not bad but it looks a little too perfect.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yea, I know. I so love letting the program do the work for me though In no small part because I'm really bad at drawing.

One more try at a style. Redid the coast effects. Four different mountain attempts. I think the one on the right may work out the best, espc. if I'd thin it out more like the one on the left. It's a selection stroked with a 10% spaced version of the lines I was doing before, then a inverted, blurred selection mask made from the same selection. I think I may like this if I can work up a better brush to stroke with.

Name:	mountaintest08.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	22306

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12