Thread: Another newbee

Guild Applicant

Default Another newbee

Hello,

Gorfindle is a retired seller and supporter of Cad/Cam software. Where I live there are no neighbors in sight, but I can hear them sometimes. Unfortunately I am too old to consider moving to a less crowded neighborhood. My first real job was on a freighter working for Interlake Steamship Company and that was where my interest in maps got its start.

I have a daughter who is a writer and I encouraged her to draw a map of the world that she was writing about. She was not entirely satisfied with the result,(mountains, you know)and I began to think about computer generated maps.

I have been doing PhotoShop since ver 2.5 or something like that. But, I didn't find that my past experience was much help. A couple of months ago I stumbled upon "Wilber". Great stuff,"Wilber" is.

Between "Wilber" and PhotoShop I have been able to produce my first map. Marland, the map, is 16"x24" at 144 pixels per inch. The atlas of Marland includes a high altitude view, a vegetation map, a topo map and a political map. At this time, I hope to make more maps based on this topography.

I greatly admire work that I see posted to the Guild and I would like to learn to create some historic maps of Marland. While, I do like what I have done so far, I know it could be significantly improved. So, here it is. I have always liked hearing advice. I don't always take it but, I like hearing it so I will be grateful for all input.

BTW, daughter says she likes the map but, she doesn't seem interested in writing about it. The more I worked on it, the more I knew about what had happened in Marland. So, I have begun to write the story. I don't really expect it will ever be finished; however, it has been great fun.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well Gorfindle, I really like the map you have there, mainly 'cause it leaves me wondering what is just outsides its area. I love maps that leave you wanting more.

Have some rep and a hearty Welcome to the guild.

You will find many a tutorial on using PS here (all geared to map making ) as well as some on Wilber by its creator Waldernate (I hope the spelling is correct ) so you should be able to find any help that you may need.

Enjoy your time here.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome to the Guild Gorfindle. Those mountains and rivers look fantastic. I've seen Wilbur mentioned several times on the forum, now I think I must check it out for myself. Great job on the map. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Guild Applicant

Thanks, Korash, for you kind words. The rest of the map is finished. I only put a jpeg detail up fearing using too much bandwidth. The entire Photoshop file over 50MB.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the The Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfindle View Post
    Thanks, Korash, for you kind words. The rest of the map is finished. I only put a jpeg detail up fearing using too much bandwidth. The entire Photoshop file over 50MB.
    If you save the WIP as a .png I believe that the whole map should be able to up load. I did that with a 67mb map (Teston) and turned it to 1.5mb PNG and that posted nicely. I want to see it! If you think that it is a finished map, you could post it in the Finished Map forum where you are likely to many more acolades, and even inspire more people to use Wilber. If you still want to work on it, post it in the WIP Forums.

Edit: If you want to post a map, you should "Go Advanced" (the bottom right of the posting window) and you should see a paper clip and that will allow you to upload the picture as a thumbnail. The full picture will be stored somewhere else , but the thumbnail will stay with the post. clicking the thumb will oppen the larger picture, clicking that picture will open the picture in a new window or tab.
    Last edited by Korash; 02-07-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent