Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2010 Entry: Rotating Madness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default February 2010 Entry: Rotating Madness

Heya, finally got a silly idea for a dungeon. Not gonne do a 3d-ish arty thingie but trying to do something functional that more looks like a map The idea is a changing dungeon, not by magic but by some mechanical mechanism. Every round (or something) the dungeon (divided in 3 discs) will rotate 45 degrees in opposite directions. So for the DM he better use scissors and a needle to create a little model to keep track of the current shape of the dungeon .. as for the players, i'd like to see them get in and out to grab the treasure.. let alone map this ... not sure if this set-up is too complicated or just plain easy, would have to try it but not running a campaign currently so I guess it will not be trialled extensively ... After each turn the players will be a little dizzy. Direction sense (or a compass if they have one) may give away some clues. Also watching how the doors shift when they "open" and "close" may give away some info... Story/Hook to be invented yet ... also have to experiment with printability .... anyway, here's the 1st thing i made...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnePageDungeon.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	993.2 KB 
ID:	21965  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 02-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.

This is a really clever idea. I like it and might find a way to put this idea into my campaign.
    Nice job.

Guild Apprentice

Very clever...reminds me of "The House That Jack Built " from the Avengers.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

magnetize the center, or outer wall, and mess up the compass?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hmm, the character I've just created is a Pathfinder and has a compass...alas that only amounts to +2 on survival checks.

Great idea and it's looking great already. As much as I love the look of your natural caverns it seems that someone that went to the trouble to build all of this would have wanted nicely worked walls too...unless specifically didn't, in which case it might make good backstory. What about teleports? It needs teleports too!

I can see something like this on Mechanus. Except there'd be a very precise order to its functioning (and those rough walls would never do, not at all). Oh, and, there'd be many, many of these rotating thingies all next to each other and interconnected. Populated by Modrons who'd be very mad about intruders (or Formians if you're a 3E Planescaper...in which case maybe rough walls are okay, as long as the corridors are orderly). Loves me some Lawful wickedness.
    M

Djek> Simple. All you need is a nice big lump of iron in there somewhere... like the central pivot that the floor is rotating around... that would result in the compass ALWAYS pointing to the centre... further disorienting them.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I love it! This is another great map. I know this is a single sheet of paper challenge but it would be amazing if you could animate it to rotate?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, looking forward to seeing where you take it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

hi all, I added some more stuff (good idea Mearrin on the rooms making them a little more man-made and thanks Jugg & Coyote for the tips making the compass useless) and think am nearly done.... maybe i'll remove the items (crates, etc.) as i'm not sure this is all very printable... as for making a real rotating version, i could do that in flash something but i'm afraid i'd have to brush up too much on my flash/programming skills ... cheers!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnePageDungeon5.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	22043  

Pro! Very nice work.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast