Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Land of Ire and Ice

Post The Land of Ire and Ice

Hola folks!

This is my current project. I had the sudden urge to take Iceland and Ireland, rotate them a bit and then subtract Ireland from Iceland. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and it still does really.

There's still loads to be done, but the basic landscape is there. The mountains were done in pasis' style, but with the layer's fill set to 0 (i.e. no visible pattern), and original maps of Iceland and Ireland I used were from Google maps.

As usual, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 007 - Land of Ice and Ire_b.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	16084  
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Hey that is a great and original idea!!! Rep for the idea and that it looks good already.

Looking nice so far. Especially the snowy mountains to the northeast. And subtracting countries from each other to create a new landmass is indeed a great idea
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh, I like this idea! Brilliant!
    I'd rep you, but it seems I need to spread it around some, first.

Looking at this, I'm getting the idea to combine some landmasses, as well, though several. I'm thinking it might be interesting to take multiple continents/subcontinents/etc, threshold them to strict 2-bit black & white, and set the layer style in PS to either exclusion or difference. That way every time I place a landmass over another, it'd subtract from the existing parts, and add to the existing holes. Could be pretty interesting.

I might also try it with just grayscale, rather than straight 2-bit B&W.

Very intriguing idea, Flaterectomy!

-asp

EDIT: I tried fidgeting about with both grayscale and the 2-bit, and it seems the 2-bit worked better, especially when combined with some cloud filters underneath merged down to randomize the coastlines, and the patched together. Didn't work as well as I'd thought, but I think that was mostly due to the limited time I spent on it.

Can't wait to see more of this map, though. Very spiffy.

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 08-20-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Update!

I started labelling early this time, so I wouldn't feel like I was doing something sacreligious later on. The names here are Irish translations(1) of the meaning of the original Icelandic towns and cities(2), barring Aontroim (which is the Irish name for the Northern Irish town of Antrim) and the island Oileann na Neagh, which is actually a lake, Lough Neagh, in Northern Island. I'll likely be putting some Irish coastal towns on the "inner" coastline as well.

I also added more rivers, which all (more or less) follow the path of the real rivers in Iceland, and since I took an Ireland-sized bite out of it they just run from inner-sea to outer-sea now. I'm not sure whether I like this too much (feedback please ), because the river police might eat me.

Other work done so far includes desaturating the sea somewhat, and I added some general texture/grain.

altasilvapuer: I'm glad you felt inspired to tinker with due to this idea! I've also started pondering on a few other ways to play with the principle, I doubt this'll be my last augmented-reality (for lack of a better term) map.

Footnotes:
    1. My friend from Ireland who has been translating these for me has stated "I won't win any awards for Irish there and my old teacher would maybe clatter me but that's about as well as I can do I think," so please be gentle.
    2. These meanings could very likely be wrong as I got them from teh interwebz, were mauled by an online Icelandic -> English dictionary, and I wasn't too picky here to begin with.

Name:	Map 007 - Land of Ice and Ire_d.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	16188  
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

I like the labeling a lot. Were you perhaps inspired by Tear's map of Westeros? He used symbols a lot like yours for the towns and villages.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf: Yeah, Tear's work on his Westeros map left me dazzled and I'm trying to make something to that standard. Not really getting there yet, but I try.

Wip

Seriously guys, I'd really appreciate any crits, ideas, and suggestions.

In this update I've not done much to the landscape. I've added more labels including (future) forests, mountains, and glaciers, many of them requiring translation still --- names with double exclamation marks need work, as do all the Oileann-prefixed islands in the inner sea because they're getting a bit too similar like that. So far translating actually soaks up more time than the graphics work does.

I also added symbols for fortresses or castles, and would love to know what you think of them.

I'm still debating whether to alter the rivers. Right now I am leaning towards changing them so they start in mountains that actually exist on this map rather than mountains that were removed when I cut the Ireland-sized hole.

And while researching names I found out that Iceland is actually known as 'The Land Of Fire And Ice' (I think I heard the name before, but completely forgot), so the title of this map will of course become 'The Land Of Ire And Ice' rather than '...Ice And Ire'.

Name:	Map 007 - Land of Ire and Ice_e.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	529.6 KB 
ID:	16333  

Rivers starting in the mountains would be a good thing as most of the rivers don't follow the rules at the moment
    I really like the little shield icons.

What's up with the exclamation marks? !!

Also I changed your thread title.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast