Thread: Goblin Lair Battle Map

Default Goblin Lair Battle Map

Nothin' like a little skirmish at close quarters. And you just know someone is going to get pushed into that slimy cesspool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goblin Lair Battlemap.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	21984  

Very nicely done, especially the stream. The water in it looks really great! Though I have some suggestions for you The ground texture feels a little overpowering, it would probably look better if you turned down the opacity on that a little. The other thing, is I would love to see that cesspool looking really hideous! Some kind of shiny sludge or something on top it - you could probably find a way to use your water technique on the cesspool to make it really stand out

Points well taken. Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm, I agree with moutarde on the ground texture, but I feel the 'wall texture' is a bit too soft to represent rock. Perhaps the Goblin 'bedrooms' could use a bit more 'furnishing'... perhaps some dried grass for a mattress? Splotch about some dirt on the gound. I don't know about your Goblins, but mine don't exactly care for hygiene...

Otherwise nice battlemap! Something about battlemaps seems so very hard to me when I look at them.

What techniques would you suggest to achieve this?

Don't know what software you're using, Aval, but for the rock, I'd suggest going to a texture site like mayang and downloading something and making it tile - you could try just having a rock border around the rooms rather than the whole space with the rock texture. Dunjinni has some great png symbols you could download for the furnishings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    What techniques would you suggest to achieve this?
    Basically what ravells said. If you ever see a texture that you can use... store it. My personal texture folder is still quite small, but when I see something I think I can use, I take it. Right now you're 'drawing' with colours, but like you applied a texture to the ground, you can also do so to the cave-walls, and you can use a 'dirt' texture, but for dirt you could also use a messy brush, and throw in some nasty looking colours until you are satisfied. Experiment, another good thing is to follow some of the tutorials here which focus on textures.

I used photoshop with symbols borrowed from Profantasy DD3. I'll look at downloading some other programs this week.

Thanks guys.