Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make your own dngbat fonts with Inkscape

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    IDon't know if XARA (while supporting SVG) can do SVG font-sets.

Gimp can do basic SVG import/rendering and path export (as SVG) but that is it. I like to use the two together.

-Rob A>
    I know Xara does NOT support SVG font sets, so that answers that question - I've looked at the tutorial and the software linked to it from the link you provided and understand what's going on. So I would have to play with Inkscape to even try.

I was sort of hoping to get my Gnomic Script converted to a basic font set - when I get the time (???) I might give it a try.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

I tried creating a font using this method and it turned out reasonably well, but I have some problems. Maybe some of you who have tried this can offer some advice. I am a complete newb with Inkscape.

First, carriage returns show up as big black boxes. I can get around that by selecting all the carriage returns and changing the font to a conventional font, but that is a pain. Is there a way to get rid of the big black box?

Second, I realize now that I should have mapped all the unmapped uppercase glyphs to their lowercase counterparts. Since I didn't do that, the font reverts to the default whenever I accidentally hit an upper case for a glyph that was not set. Is there any way to copy the glyphs for a lower case to an upper case, without re-importing, re-tracing, etc?

Guild Novice

Well, I figured out what was causing the black boxes for carriage returns. Apparently I added a blank glyph in Inkscape and when the font was translated to TrueType, the blank glyph got mapped to CR. I was able to use FontForge to delete it. (I couldn't find any way to delete it in Inkscape.) So, maybe that will save someone some trouble in the future.

(Incidentally, fonts are much more complicated than I would have guessed.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12