Thread: [WIP] Joffta - Pirate City

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default [WIP] Joffta - Pirate City

I tried to do a city map a while back, but got stuck on my incompetence with Photoshop. Not that my skills have improved much since, but I've reworked the style a bit, and hopeful come up with something more manageable for me. So, I'm giving it another go, and will try to do a fantasy pirate city, but pirates after my head, which means civilized pirates, with schools of learning how to be a pirate, and different "clans", each with their own style.

This is a work in progress, obviously, so a lot of the style is not definite yet. The docks will probably be redone, cause they look like crap. I'll probably also have to add a legend that clarifies things a bit, cause right now the houses just look like different colored blobs, and that's not very pirate-y...

Alright, well, ye thoughts for a penny, arr...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	22021  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pirate school would be kinda fun...yer not sayin yer "arrrr's" correctly, matey, so drop n gimme twenty.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Added a few more buildings, redid the piers, added a few bridges.

Any feedback would be most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	22054  

looking pretty good. glad you redid the piers, the first ones didn't really look right. Pirate school, i love it. I wanna take the walk the plank 101 course

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Visually, I find the overall effect is quite nice, but the individual buildings are looking quite funky. I mean, they do not seem to be practical at all. The organic style simply doesn't fit the pirate era, where building materials (and their cost) wouldn't allow such shapes.

The idea in itself is nice, reminds me of Naruto (pirate/ninja schools, clans, etc...)