Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIMP can make random world maps out of the box!

Info GIMP can make random world maps out of the box!

Following up on the random coastlines in this post I was going to make a GIMP script-fu *macro) to generate these automatically. Low and behold, there already are three built in to the GIMP! distribution. All of them generate coloured maps, however, and are available from the main GIMP window Xtns->Patterns->Land (shown). Also shown are the settings I used for the generated images, only changing the seed.

Note that these create an image, nothing needs to be done first. I (creatively) used seeds 0, 1, and 2 respectively.

-Rob A>

Now to modify/extend this to draw outlines as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CropImage.jpg 
Views:	950 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levels[12].jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	988  

Looks cool! Wonder if there is a way to export that to Profantasy's Fractal Terrains and then to CC3?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Man. Who knew? Thats great for quick continental maps. Thanks for an excellent find.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Looks cool! Wonder if there is a way to export that to Profantasy's Fractal Terrains and then to CC3?
    If you convert it to a gray scale you can use it in FT as a height map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

See my post that I posted at the same time as yours.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

The script-fu actually leaves the greyscale heightfield as a layer under the coloured one. You could just use that

But if you've already got FT, it can do this sort of stuff right out of the box, no?

I don't have FT, but random HF generation is pretty basic, even Wilbur does it (and much better than GIMP), and my understanding is that Wilbur was the start code fro a lot of FT.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The script-fu actually leaves the greyscale heightfield as a layer under the coloured one. You could just use that

But if you've already got FT, it can do this sort of stuff right out of the box, no?

I don't have FT, but random HF generation is pretty basic, even Wilbur does it (and much better than GIMP), and my understanding is that Wilbur was the start code fro a lot of FT.

-Rob A>
    While FT can do this out of the box, the colors are more aligned to CC and not quite as pretty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTWorld.jpg 
Views:	1208 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	992  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

-Rob A>
    Yes, they were developed by the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    While FT can do this out of the box, the colors are more aligned to CC and not quite as pretty.
    Don't forget with FT you can change the color palette and there is the Gaia view which uses more "typical globe coloring" but doesn't do much with climate.

That's interesting. I've got FT and thought that although you can convert FT maps to grey scale height maps (which I import into Bryce to make 3d maps - very handy), you can't actually make an FT file out of height maps because it uses vector point data (I think) like the USGS use to make their maps.

Not sure it can be done, but I'd love to see if it can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast