Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed (so far) map for writing

Wip Unnamed (so far) map for writing

Hi,

Here's my map WIP. I'm drawing it to help with writing mainly, as it's not only useful to help me plot out the story and force me to name things properly rather than just putting '(insert name here)' all the time, but also just to make something that looks pretty cool really. Any suggestions of things to include would be great, and also any obvious mistakes that scream out to any of you cartographers (i'm willing to bend the rules abit for something that looks good, but want to avoid glaring errors).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapv6.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	22083

Cheers,

Matt

Cool,

I want to see more of it, keep WIPing
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a great start, looking forward to seeing it progress
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm liking it, especially the little ship. However, I suspect you meant to write "DIVIDING STRIDE" as the road divides the mountains.

Has a great feeling to it. Keep it up.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Cheers for the comments guys, and big thanks rdanhenry for the heads up on the spelling mistake, I'd never have noticed that otherwise. Will post an updated map as soon as i've added some more stuff to it all, maybe take a few days though as i'm slow as hell when adding new stuff, and very indecisive about what to put where lol!

I like it and I will stay tuned for updates!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quick update. The ink work is the same as before (although with the spelling correction ) but decided to do some background work, as the greeny tan colour was annoying me lol. Used the 'Parchment & Stain Tutorial' for photoshop in the tuts section. Will probably add some folds/stains and rough up the edges at some point. The map itself has kind of become quite an important item to the plot of the story i'm writing, and belongs to one of the characters so will need to look abit dog eared. It's meant to have been torn out and nicked from some ancient book, and then gifted to him as a useful keepsake, but will eventually prove to be rather key to the narrative. I hadn't originally planned for it to feature much, but it's become more important in the story the more i've worked on it, strangely

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapv7.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	22178

Not sure how much to push it with shading, as i want it to look mostly hand drawn in the end.

I must say I love the mountains and forestry, it just looks great

Nice work Jams... will be watching. You're building a bit of a crowd!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast