Thread: Newbie say hello!

Info Newbie say hello!

Hi all

Yesterday I stumbled across a link to your site while reading the GURPS fora and I'm baffeled by the resources I was able to find here.
    I'm new to cartography and unfortunatley not very gifted when it comes to creating maps and graphics. I had to dive into the subject as I GM a post apocalyptic GURPS game (Atomschlag (Nuclear Strike)) and I'm in dire need of some decent mapping. I'll keep on browsing the fora and reading threads but will probably soon begin to bombard you with questions. Please, forgive any ignorance I might show as I have no training and little experience. I've watched about half the tutorials Adobe offers on its site regarding Photoshop and Illustrator and I'm slowly getting to know the applications but I'm still far away from using them to their potential.

I've found a nifty little application called Google Map Buddy (sadly its Windows only) which I have been using to create large bitmaps I overlaid with player relevant information. This makes sense in my campaign as the PCs grew up in a vault and thus have access to pre-apocalyptic maps of the world.

Of course, now that I've seen what you are able to create I'm eager to improve on my skills.

Also, if you have created maps for a Falloutesque scenario, please point me to them as I would be happy to recycle them into my campaign.

Thanks for reading and have a nice sunday!

Onkl

Edit: Here's one of the first maps I created... as I said, I'm neither a gifted artist nor skilled so be gentle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Vegas.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	22090

Edit2: Also, if you know of a better place to put my maps to show to you, please let me know

Edit3: Thanks for the inline posting advice!
    Last edited by Onkl; 02-14-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Welcome to the Guild.

Love your little map of 'post-apocalypse' Vegas.

Yes, there is a way to add attachments inline to the post. Simply using the 'attachment' (paperclip) button in the advanced post feature you can add BMPs, JPEGs, PNGs, Word Documents, Zip Files and PDF files to your post.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hello and welcome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild. If you want to learn about making maps, this is THE place to be.

If you are working on a map, we have a forum area called the WIP (Work In Progress) Threads. It is divided up into the various types of maps that people are working on (regional, city, dungeon ect.) and we (the community) give helpfull pointers and possible techniques to get people past any stumbling blocks that they may have. Trust me, it is much easier than you think, and you will be surprised at how fast you can pick things up. post your work early in the process, and post any progress that you make along the way and pretty soon you will have a map in the Finished Map forum.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Hello Onkl, welcome to the Guild! Also check out Revall's "Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping" sticky located at the top of the member introductions sub-forum.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh.