Thread: Old Atlas Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old Atlas Map

Making an atlas style map was still in the back of my head for some time so i've been messing around a bit with some photoshop brushes to see if i could get some semi-realistic terrain effect (creating a b/w heightmap). After that I put on some colors and rivers and weathered it with a bunch of textures. It came out a bit tear-style (not saying that it's no where near his quality stuff). cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldAtlasMap.jpg 
Views:	1108 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	22095  

The map has a nice hand-painted look, although it's slightly diminished by the glow around the coasts; I'd imagine an actual oilpaint to result in overall darker-colored water and at lesser contrast to the land.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, looks good. How you did the aging has me stumped...I can usually see those sorts of things.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

For aging effect I used 3 different (basically random) grunge textures (i think i got them from a photoshop magazine CD) in overlay layers. One on the land, a different one on the sea and one over all layers. Also a parchment texture was used as background. Together they give a random grungy look. Without the textures (so only the things i drew myself ) it would look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldAtlasMap2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	767.9 KB 
ID:	22099  

I love the effect! I hope to see a tutorial sometime!

Looks really nice Djekspek, like your style.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh.

I like it, I particularly like your use of color. Rated and repped.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license