Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlas Style Map Experiment

Nice map you got there... BTW, Provence is a part of France. It's probably French for province.

More details in the landscape and more labels. Not yet happy with overal colors (too uniform) and the northern part. Also not sure yet about the label font.. The parchment thing was an experiment and am not sure if its too distracting so may change that as well... @LoneWandererD: As for the mountains I'm still experimenting with those. Basically I'm making a B/W bumpmap (using 50% opacity and flow I'm starting with a big brush and then going over and over again with tiny-lines for the details, with a lot of zooming in and out to see if the shapes are making sense... one range can take up to 30-60 minutes like this so I guess It's not very efficient though ... ). After that I put on the colors using the photoshop standard brush that switches front/back colors using different pairs of colors depending on the height (also zooming in/out and replacing/painting untill the color start to look like mountains) ... So basically its tweaking and tweaking until i get it to look sortof like i want it ... anyway another update. cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldAtlasMap6.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	22200  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know, I think those might be the best looking mountains I've ever seen.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

darn fine work as always

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Gotta hand it to ya Dj, this is some mighty fine work. I for one, love the contrast between the hues of orange and blue-green. Tried to rep you, but apparently I've already done so recently. Course I guess that's just a testament to the quality of work you do.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

guess it's done (as far one can finish a map). last version posted in finished maps. cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12