Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Style Map Experiment

Default Atlas Style Map Experiment

hmm, starting another WIP... should be working on my Nyrhizmen vally map but got distracted with atlas style mapping ... I did a quick trial (posted it in the finished thread) and now trying to make something bigger... (why do i always start out big, why not start something small ...) anyway, really wanne learn how to do some kind of cool semi-real atlas style map and got inspired by the masters of that genre Pasis, Tear and Ascension. I'll be grabbing parts n pieces from their tuts and try to come up with something my own... Here's the first experiments. ... most time spend on painting the bumpmap for the mountains, experimening with different brushes trying to create natural yet fantasy-ish mountains... curious where this will end ... cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newOldAtlas1.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	22106  

You have way too much talent for your own good! Every time you post I want to rep you for it And you've barely even started this one! Those mountains look ridiculously good so far.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think you really need any tips from any of us You're doing just fine so far. This looks a lot like the (Dragon Age) Thedas map in terms of style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A little to orange-y for my tastes, but looking good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

hehe thanks guys. The orange was the 'base color' and to be detailled with the actual color but used to see how the bumpmaps look before coloring. And Ascension, I really still learn a lot from you guys (not even counting inspiration as it was your and Pasis maps that made me wanne draw maps and torstan made me wanne do 3d-ish maps...) ... and indeed, the Thedas map is one of the maps I use for inspiration for this one, so keen eye on spotting that (in my opinion it's just one of the coolest maps around...). Anyway, another update, did some more mountain ranges and started experimenting with labels. long way to go but I'm getting faster bit by bit ... I keep drawing bumpmaps for the mountains (detailling in several passes) and use a "front-back color swapping splatterish brush" of PS to get the terrain colors blended in on the bumpmap... the southern mountains were my 1st try and will be replaced by better ones ... cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldAtlasMap4.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	22151  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 02-15-2010 at 06:02 PM.

I like the latest version a lot. Consider me a fan of yours
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

The final map looks exceptional.

Whoa, how did you do your mountains, they're great. They're the kid of mountains that you know are mountains without them being to in your face about it, if that makes sense.

I'll rep if i can, and I'll try to rep again if you can share your secrets.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The color scheme reminds me a bit of the "Wheel of Time" maps...this is progressing quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast