Thread: County Maps with Towns

Default County Maps with Towns

Hello everyone,

I have been frustrated lately at what should seem to be easy. I simply want to be able to choose a few contiguous counties from a state, with specified cities/towns and generate a simple map of the counties outlined and the town locations identified. I will then open the map in a graphics editing program to fill in with colors etcetera. Years ago I had a program called Harvard Geographics, and the program made it very simple. I can't seem to find any software to accomplish this simple task. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Also, please inform if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Thanks so much,

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Steve, what maps are you starting with (can you post an example?) and what graphics program are you using now?
    Below is a recent example. To create, I used Corel Photopaint and basically redrew from a MapPoint screen shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	22117

I'm moving this thread to general discussion. But basically something like Inkscape (which is a free vector graphics editor) should do the job for you. Get your base map and load it into inkscape and then trace your borders and put in your cities etc. You'll probably need to use the subtract tools (don't know what they're called in inkscape) to ensure a snug fit between borderlines.

Professional Artist

Also try the forums over at Cartotalk.com - there are probably a few more people who can help you over there, as cartotalk is a board for professional cartographers, while this board is more for fantasy cartography.

-Rob

Thank you ravells and HandsomeRob... I appreciate the help and direction.