Thread: Another unpaid commission

Default Another unpaid commission

This was an interesting one on the map request thread which caught my eye. The style example (here) that the poster wanted was simply gorgeous - that map is made by Robert Lazzeretti, who makes some amazing stuff. His forests are to die for and the composition and colour is just beautiful...I wish he'd come here just to chat to us and give us some tips. I've pretty sure I've seen his name attached to other maps and the guy is a fantasy mapping god in my book.

So I thought I'd have a go at trying to emulate the style. I'm just putting in placeholders pretty much for now until I can work out how to get similar results. The beauty of what he does is that at first it looks quite simple, but if you try and copy the style, you find very quickly that it's anything but that.

Here is where I am so far. As I said, most of it is placeholding and not much to write home about. If anyone can figure out how to do a reasonable copy of those forests I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landmass1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	22118  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

RE: the forests - From a quick look I'd say you need a couple of different layers to pull it off - Ascension's trees he did for his Belgariad map may come close.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

looks like he has two of us working on an unpaid commission. I think thats not very cool!!!! yours looks better anyway. i defer to yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft 8.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	22140  
    Last edited by Davros01; 02-15-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

No not at all Davros! There was no confirmation on the map request thread that the commission had been taken. I asked and there was no reply, so I just went ahead. I'm really glad you've taken the commission up and will find another map to do in this style. If you have taken a commission PLEASE post in the request thread that you have done so.

best
    Ravs

soz, its the first one i've taken up. i figured he would have waved you off or something. not had us double working. i'll know better next time.
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.