Thread: Lin e Rin

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Map Lin e Rin

Before discovering this forum, i was an vectorial addict. But when i saw the beautifuls maps made with GIMP or photoshop, i decided to change my way of drawing.

I took a vectorial map of a part of my world (cf. Lin e Rin transformed on the Regional/World mapping ) and i bitmaped (?) it.

The result is below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acabada.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	22132

I used GIMP for the colors but the coast-lines and the texts are imported from inkscape. I'm happy...

Nice map, only 'few' river violations, but a damn nice map all the same.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

This is nice.

Are the glyph on the border actually Japanese or do they just look like it? I don't know Japanese but am going to guess no - and if that's the case then congrats because they look pretty convincing and that's hard to do.

I'm working on an Asian-themed setting focused on their "China" and I haven't figured out how to handle glyphs yet. I'm using standard Chinese pronunciation for "Romanized" writing but was trying to figure out what to do about signs and so forth in images. I sort of don't want to use actual Chinese characters...but haven't yet figured out how to mimic the style convincingly without doing a Van Gogh, where some are copies, some are poor copies, and all of it looks like caca.
    M

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Are the glyph on the border actually Japanese or do they just look like it? I don't know Japanese but am going to guess no - and if that's the case then congrats because they look pretty convincing and that's hard to do.
    They just look like, it's the alphabet of the dominant language of Lin and Rin:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alfabet lin e rin.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	22172

To draw this kind of glyph, i used the calligraphic tool of inkscape, and now i work with the old nibs of the greatmother of my wife (and to draw old maps it's very funny and look nice).

Nice. Thanks for sharing...and have some rep for your map.
    M

very nice map. I like the 'fake'anese writing
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Yeah, very creative. Looks like you've put allot of thought into this region. great looking map too. Repped.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Really cool map, gavachas, and let me add my name to the others admiring your alphabet. The only thing I don't particularly like is the way the cultivated areas appear drawn in.

mearrin69: you might find this helpful, particularly on the composition of Chinese-like characters (less so on the appearance of the characters). As far as the appearance of your characters go, draw up a bunch of simple glyphs (for example: simplified pictograms, flipped or inverted versions of Latin, Greek, or Hebrew letters, parts stolen from real Chinese or Korean characters, etc.) and then build complex characters out of these elements. Each character should be roughly square shaped, and you can put your elements on the left, right, top, bottom, upper left, etc. Including elements like triangles, circles, U-shapes, etc. that don't typically appear in modern Chinese characters can give your writing system a distinctive look.

Then draw them with a calligraphic brush like gavachas did! If you want to be really authentic, figure out a consistent stroke order and stick to it.

Edit: repped, now that I've figured out what that means and how it's done!
    Last edited by Scott Livingston; 02-19-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    Visit Tornalia (it's beautiful this time of year)

Awesome link. Thanks!
    M

Guild Novice

This map is damn good, I like it!