Thread: Continent of the Kingom of the West and former Empire

Wip Continent of the Kingom of the West and former Empire

This is a project where I'm teaching myself Photoshop while I create a map for the campaign I've been part of for the last twelve years. I'm using Tear's tutorial. I'm on hold while the GM goes through his notes to see if he has any info on the geography of the continent East of what's shown here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tear_tutorial_w_cliff.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	22145

I ran into a bit of a problem last night (documented here), but I think I've hit on a solution that works well. I'm using the lighting direction from Acension's tutorial.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not a lot to say other than so far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, well, I scrapped my original shape and started over (and yes, I know the continent looks like a turtle, I may still yet use the original shape), and I like the results better. I'm still using Tear's tutorial* and here are some stages.

Ocean

Name:	new_empire_ocean_copy.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	22327
    My map is pretty large, 3000x2000, so I've been increasing some of the values accordingly.

Elevations

Name:	new_empire_elevations_copy.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	640.6 KB 
ID:	22328
    The interesting bits that I put in this layer are the steppe area to the East. The escarpment in the West part is from an old map done by a former player.

Mountains and Lighting

Name:	new_empire_mountains_south_lite_plus_escarp_copy.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	22329
    I moved the lighting around to the SE, and did a lot more layering on the mountains, and I brought the escarpment back into play as its own layer, since the style is quite a bit different.

This is about four hours worth...

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-27-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Wip And now for something completely different...

After hacking my way (not terribly effectively) through several tutorials, I decided to give Ascension's Antique Map tutorial a go. I love his results. This is a project where I'm teaching myself how to use tools by mapping a game world thats been around twenty years or more, existing mostly in the mind of the GM and described to the players. Anyway, here is what I came up with:

Name:	Antique WM_w_labels.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	22503

I drew the coastline by hand rather than use the clouds technique since I had part of the map already. The mountains use a 3px brush, with a fade of 10, 15 or 20 px. I used an interior shadow rather than interior glow style because I liked the way it looked better. When I showed it to my GM, he liked it but I got a lot of the dimensions and geographic features off, so I'll be giving up on this map and starting over, probably in a new style !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks pretty darn good. I love Ascension's antique style; wish more folks would emulate it.

I was pretty happy with it until I looked at the Fantasy South America map and realized just how far I have to go... but I appreciate the thought. And I plan to keep at it.

.TM7

For the cliff, I think you should use the same stuff you're using now for the mountains, but only do one side. Right now, the switch to isometric just for the cliff doesn't really fit.

Other than that, it's excellent!
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.