Thread: Hello everybody

Guild Novice

Default Hello everybody

My name's Tom (although I go by the nickname Barbierossa) and I'm a mapping novice. I'm determined to get to grips with map creation in GiMP and, I suppose, that's why I'm here.

I must say the standard here is phenomenal - you guys (and gals) set a really high benchmark to aspire to.

Oh, I'm located in Scotland, just to the west of Glasgow.

-Tom

Blog Entries

Hey there, the tuts have been been pretty transformational to many peoples mapping. Theres a few styles and some handle cranking methods - guaranteed to work - threads there to hoist you to the next level. We have a guild members map if you want to wave St Andrews Cross and stick the pin in. Its under the Community menu. You will see me right down with all the other suthern pansies

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hey Tom, welcome to the Guild. As one relatively new GIMP user to another, I recommend checking out RobA's tutorial (found here) and Ascension's Atlas style map tutorial, converted into GIMP by Gidde (found here).

You might also do well to check out the scripts and plug-ins that RobA and others have created for GIMP; they really are essentials for map-making with this software. You'll have to search for these as they are scattered throughout the "Mapping Elements" sub-forum. There is also another really important plug-in available at GIMP's own Plug-Ins registry called "Layer Styles" which is simply a must have. Once you've experimented a bit, post a WIP in the appropriate page and you'll receive allot of helpful feedback from the Guild.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Guild Novice

I did try my hand at one of the tutorials on here (RobA's "Using GiMP to Create an Artistic Regional Map), but it really went quite disastrously, after a certain point...

The thing is, I am so new to Gimp that I really don't know what I did wrong. The map, instead of having verdant green grass, instead has this dull look to it, so I shelved it temporarily until I know what I'm doing...

I looked at the tutorial by Pyrandon and it really is very, very impressive. But, it seemed to be for photoshop, which I can neither work, nor afford. I'll check out your links and then have another go at getting that map right in .xcf form.

Oh and thanks for the encouragement, tips and the warm welcome.

(BTW, what's a WIP?)
    -Tom

Blog Entries

WIP = Work In Progress