Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP- Shadow Crest - Westfall - Vaea

Wip WIP- Shadow Crest - Westfall - Vaea

Over the past two weeks I have discovered CG and the wealth of information within. I have never really mapped before, aside from a few crappy hand drawn maps used when Gming. I have been using a variety of techniques at various scales. This one is my first city scale map and i think is currently close to 50% complete. I would be greatful for any comments.

I still have to add some dirt and barren patches as well as map out the farmsteads, wells, citadel, stone bridges etc, but i think it is at a stage where some outside input would be of great benefit.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards
    Naj

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShadowCrestv1.7.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	22168
    Last edited by Najmir; 02-16-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Typos... ffs

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I looks good so far...but I MUST say something about those bridges.Most spans, if not all, are straight from first anchor point to the next.Both of then curve away from the direct line quite noticeably. As the map is a top-down view, they should be straight. If the map was viewed at an angle then I could say that the bridges were arched (and quite a bit at that) but from the rest of the map I would not say that is the case. In a top-down map, if you want to show an arched bridge, you would need to use a shadow to show that it is not flat.

Out of curiositywhat are you planning for that space just upper left from center?

Like I said before, I like so far. The river really stands out.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks Korash. The entire road system is a 5 mins hand drawn job. Whilst most will stay that way for the unplanned effect, the ones over the water are just place holders for stone bridges and stone path that leads to the centre blank area. The centre area will house a dilapidated tower and broken down fortifications. This area is meant to represent a small unplanned community that has limited order in terms of town planning etc. From memory the roads may have even been there before I put the river in.

Originally I started this to test my buildings brush in GIMP and also a river technique that I thought of during a lunch break. The beauty of the brush is I can just select roads, expand and stroke selection to create all buildings. This brush is a demonstration of low density buildings. I am working on one for medium density and then high density.

I was happy with my tests so I decided to continue to work it up into a map for a campaign a m8 and i are running.

I agree with Korash concerning the bridges. Also the hills seem to be flat in contrast to the riverbed.
    Very good start and a really nice river.

Wip Shadow Crest - Westfall - Vaea 1.8

Here is Shadow Crest 1.8

I have finshed the Dirt Layer, Stone Paths and Bridges, Farm Lands

I have also done a little more with the contours and depth on the hills as suggested by Katto.

The next task is to work up the tower and fortifications near the centre of the map.

CC Please.

Name:	ShadowCrestv1.8.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	600.8 KB 
ID:	22184

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

OOOOO!! Me likey!!

That REALLY pops!

seeing as how you asked nicely ( ) I like the hights you created with the shadows, but if you are gonna put a fortress in that open space there I would suggest working a bit more to give it some more hight. Right now it looks like that area is on the same level as a bunch of houses, and I don't think that it would hurt at all having the fort on a "peak" of that hill. That would also give a bit of space for a killing zone for archers.

Nicely done. Repped ya for it too
    Last edited by Korash; 02-17-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: repping
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your cliffs look really nice and the colors are nice as well. I might lighten up or fade the pattern on the roads...looks sort of like chicken wire fencing. Otherwise, looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

I have worked on the Chiken wire so hopefully that is not standing out as much. I have also spent some time working up the tower and dilapidated fortifications.

The open area remaining south east fo the tower within the old walls, will be filled with houses that were built when the farming colony settled the abandoned tower area. As far as our story goes the Tower stands untouched by time. A small farming settlement moved in 150 years prior after finding it abandoned. I have treid to keep the tower crisp to reflect it resiliance where almost all about it has fallen to ruins.

Next up is to Add the final houses, add some finer details to trades buildings and then to add legend and markers for notable buildings.

Name:	ShadowCrestTowerv3.1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	609.9 KB 
ID:	22274

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks nice, a great sense of atmosphere and mood.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is progressing quite nicely!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast