Thread: Maison de Fou

Map Maison de Fou

I created a few maps for an interim adventure. I thought I'd post the ones that I'm most pleased with. I would appreciate creative criticisms please. All are made from scratch in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Floor - Ice..jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	23137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Floor - Stone&.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	992.1 KB 
ID:	23138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Floor - Cha&#.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	23139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Floor - Fire..jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	23140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Floor - Clo&.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	436.6 KB 
ID:	23141  

More, maps. Again... I welcome criticism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement - Feedin.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	601.0 KB 
ID:	23142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement - Storag&.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	23143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement - Salmir&.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	23144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Floor - Cha&#.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	23145  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They look good to me. I don't think I could offer up anything in the way of critique. Nice work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice shadow work. I will give you rep now for a tutorial tomorrow.
    M

[edit]Erm. Okay. I will give you rep after I spread it around a bit...but I still want that shadow tutorial!

Guild Journeyer

Very nice.

Not much to criticize - these all look great.

But since you asked for creative criticism, I'll grasp at some straws to see if I can make my comment mildly valuable:

* Consider toning down the grid a wee bit on some of your lighter-colored maps (e.g. the library and the atrium)
    * Soften up the candle glow in the chapel (give it a little more spread so it's not such a defined line)

Both very minor grievances and it really just comes down to personal preferences.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Tutorial

Cause you asked for it - Shadow Tutorial

Those candles gave me heart burn. There's very little that I hate more than going through the raster/filter process and then deciding that I hate what ever I've just spent the last hour working on. I've been trying to work strictly within layer styles and blending to get the effects that I want so I can easily move or change sections. No matter what I did with those cursed candles, it never came out right. It was really a learning experience.
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice stuff - these are good clean maps. I'd tone down some of the textures a little. You're black and grey pattern in the walls (first three maps in the second post) is a bit heavy. I'd only use black for actual structural lines between things. The eye is drawn to areas with the highest level of detail and the largest contrast and here that's the patterns in the walls. I'd drop that back considerably and make sure that your darkest shades are lines around your most important objects. That should keep the focus of the viewer in the right place.

Good stuff though, and definitely clear. Well done and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by paradox_wanderer View Post
    There's very little that I hate more than going through the raster/filter process and then deciding that I hate what ever I've just spent the last hour working on.
    If you're working in CS3 or later, convert the layer you are about to filter into a smart object. Most* filters, when applied to a smart object, become "smart filters" and are nondestructive, just like layer styles.

* I say "most" because I haven't tested them all, but I haven't yet run across one that didn't work that way.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name