Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Caverns

Default Simple Caverns

Hey there. I am doing another "D20 Cartographer" map panel set, and I thought I would share my progress. I am tentatively calling this the "Carved Caverns" and this is just the first side. Let me know what you think!

I am having some weird photoshop issues... The coloring of the bevels seems to entirely change when I save as a non PSD format... I don't know what's happening. Hopefully I can figure that out. Anyway, here is the JPEG of my progress so far. Like before, it is made of a few panels that will have two sides, and I am thinking one side will be simple cavern and one side will have some kind of interesting landmark...

Anyway, I would welcome any input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carved Caverns small.jpg 
Views:	2139 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	22180  

Guild Journeyer

Looks pretty good but is that water or ice it is kinda weird. Love the textures and colors of the walls and floors.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks very murky and slimy...gonna have to make dexterity checks every couple of feet or slip on the slime Looks good to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's the B side I've come up with thus far. I also don't know what to put in those side-chambers on the top panel... They seem to beg to be filled with some sort of landmarks. Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carved Caverns B side copy.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	22215  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 02-20-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Shoot, I have no idea why one came out green and slimy and the other currently looks grey and crisp... I didn't change any of the layers or coloring! I wonder if it was from shifting from CMYK to RGB...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Most likely. It's okay, though, different levels can be different.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great. I love the wall texture - is that hardened lava?

As for the side rooms I'd go with statues. It looks like the kind of place that would freak out a PC if they walk down the stairs into a room and see two massive statues flanking them in the adjoining rooms.

Ascension - Normally I'd be cool with that, but the idea for this series is that the top third, middle third, and bottom third are three separate "map panels" where each side is an alternate setup, so by flipping over different pieces, you end up with eight possible configurations (Side A Side A Side B, BBA, BAB,etc... like my Underground Temple, which has 64 configurations), so they have to match. I am kinda going for some of the flexibility and reusability of dungeon tiles, with the cohesive look, larger scale, and transportability of things like Paizo Flipmats.

I wish I knew what I did to make it look green and slimy in the first one--I kind of prefer that look. Oh well, I'll keep tweaking.

Thanks for all the great feedback, by the way!

Torstan - Yeah, it does look volcanic, doesn't it? The actual texture is a black volcanic rock, but I have a 'texture' bevel/emboss blending filter of bubbling tar (I use the Genetica Viewer textures) to make it look a little less even/tiled. I am really new to this whole map making thing, so I am still learning all these neat tips and tricks in photo shop. The tutorials on this site are really great for that! Oh, and the floor is simple a concrete texture with some of the wall texture leaking through to create dark patches.

Statues sound great! The sad thing is, I suck at drawing and it is really hard to find creative commons images that are from the overhead-angle... I'll have to figure something out! Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 02-18-2010 at 03:30 PM.

the dundjinni forums have a ton of that kind of stuff as transparent .png files, and there is also the CSUAC compendium over at gmsapprentice.com, both of which require registration...

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

TM7, Thanks for the advice, but sadly I have to go this on my own--I put my maps up for sale on TheGameCrafter for cheap, so it has to all be creative commons stuff or stuff I make myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast