Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing out CD 3 - WIP on Small seaside town.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Wip Testing out CD 3 - WIP on Small seaside town.

Had a few feww hours today, so I thought I woud test out CD3 a little bit, and after trying a little bit, I came up with this...
    Not exactly Gandwarf quality, but served me nice learning a bit about the software

I know there are a few errors (like the symbol house near the docks) and such, but for a first draft I am content
    Thanks to GD for the cliff tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portcity.PNG 
Views:	347 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	22186  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good. Bright colors but good. I could see myself using something like this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The bright Colours are more a result of the styleset i used in CD 3, I think they will be toned down a bit later

I switched from CC3 to another mapping program before CD3 was released, so I've never seen the product and don't know what its limitations are, nor do I really have much of an idea what it does and doesn't do. It may be that there isn't much that it will let you do about what seem to be some strange effectsto me. If CD3 lets you do it, you might want to think about changing the scale (or something else, depending upon what CD3 offers) to get rid of the rather pronounced pattern redundancies in the water fill and the grass fill. In the water fill, these redundancies are so strong that it looks like the water is smudged everywhere, and it's always the identical smudge. I've had a question for a long time about CD3 maps. Every one that I've seen so far always has roofs of the most incredible colors. That includes the demo maps on ProFantasy's web sites: Fire engine red, lemon yellow, snow white, parchment creme, etc. I've never seen a real world roof that looks anything like these roofs. That isn't intended as a criticism. We're mapping fantasy RPG locations, for the most part, and these roof colors lend a location a character of being somewhere else than in the real world, which has its merits. Nonetheless, I'm curious. Is a CD3 mapper limited to these roof colors if he or she wants to use the CD3 tools, or is this more or less a preferred style of the CD3 mapping community? Or is there some other reason why these kinds of roof colors are chosen?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Don't mix too many different roof types when working with CD3. Try also to avoid the png buildings if possible. It is a good start for working with CD3 for the first time. I would like to see more CD3 maps here.

@Mark Oliva:
    Most users use the predefined backgrounds, houses etc., because it is convenient I think. You can change everything, import textures for roofs and backgrounds and so on. In my opinion most people are scared when they see the UI of this program. Intuitive is a word that don't match with CC3.

@ Mark Olivia, yeah, I am going to change the water texures and such in the final map, just have to find one I like.
    @ Katto, to many colours, While I understand what you are saying, but any other tips on it not getting to monotonous ?
    And yeah, the CC3 interface is a bit daunting a first, feling I am starting to get a hang of it now, atleast I know what MOST buttons do :p

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    Most users use the predefined backgrounds, houses etc., because it is convenient I think. You can change everything, import textures for roofs and backgrounds and so on.
    Does CD3 (as opposed to CC3) fill out streets with buildings made from imported third party symbols, or does CD3 only produce its own generated building symbols? I'm referring to raster symbols only, not fills or textures. With CD2, one could define street autofills only within the range of CC2 Pro's own vector concepts. CD3 might do the same thing, or it might work with actual raster symbols. I'm curious which is the case. I haven't seen a single CD3 (as opposed to CC3) map to date that has any buildings that aren't CD3 style. I'm getting the impression that CD3 can't use anything but its own graphics in making automatically generated streets. That impression comes both from all of the CD3 maps I've seen to date and from reports from people who have downloaded our raster symbols for buildings. They can convert them and use them with no difficulty in CC3 as individual raster symbols, but they say that they can't be incorporated into CD3. They may be right, and then again, they might simply not know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    In my opinion most people are scared when they see the UI of this program. Intuitive is a word that don't match with CC3.
    Right. I learned that the hard way when our group produced the "Northern Journey" adventure several years ago. We used CC2 Pro, CD2 and DD2 to make the editable maps we distributed in maps CC2's FCW format. The great majority of user complaints that we received were from people who didn't want to climb CC2's great learning curve and urged us to find a different mapping program.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I do not think there is any way to populate a street wit raster symbols, at least using the default generate street tool. I am pretty sure however that it would be possible to write a macro that does somrhing long those lines (people have macros for making symbol based mountain ranges, etc) But since I dont know anything about macros, I would know how to write one.

I agree with Elothan. In the ProFantasy Forum you will find a thread with tutorials:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...scussionID=928
    Have a look at tutorial 1...

@Mark; CD3 will use what ever House Style you define to fill streets.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast