Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commission piece - The Shadowglade RPG Setting for Pathfinder

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

The mountains look fantastic!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Hmm, I had the same observation regarding the escarpment myself. Just so I'm clear the right side of the escarpment is the raised cliff portion? It's the only thing that makes sense.

Looks a tad odd seeing the escarpment carry all the way into the everfrost peaks there. Otherwise everything is expertly well done.

I love those mountains. I expect that there's an explanation for the escarpment. Gods, demons, dragons, comets, catastrophe... The stuff of legend!

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yes indeed - the right hand side is higher. That's also why it stretches out into the sea. The cataclysm that caused that is responsible for the sharp new mountain ranges and the dark blight to the north.

No Canadians were harmed in the making of this map.

Thanks all for the compliments. The mountains took ... a while. I've got the style down now so it doesn't take nearly as long as it used to. I've still been meaning to get some satellite images of some different areas and do a quick practice of different mountain ranges at different scales. Perhaps a game for the weekend.

A small update - base map is now finished along with some new town and city locations.

Not sure about the title bar along the bottom. Need to play with that - and find a way of including a scale bar in a consistent style.

Any crits much appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadowglade6.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	898.8 KB 
ID:	22225

The mountains do look great. This is gonna be a great fantasy piece.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Let me just echo the applause regarding those mountains Torstan, they're some of the best I've ever seen. Likewise, the hills look really great as well. Much impressed. Have some rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Thanks a lot guys! I'm really pleased with the forests on this one too. That's taken a lot of trial and error - and now a custom brush - to get to this stage. Still want to work more on them, but this is a good stride forward.

Here's the draft of the final:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadowglade6.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	22232

forgive my hubris, but why is a city named Northport nowhere near the ocean? (Have a little rep to make up for it) And I'd love to see a tutorial on this mountain style...

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-18-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: minor edit
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

A good question indeed! I'll ask the developer.

Yes, I should probably lay out that mountain method. Thank you very much for the rep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast