Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commission piece - The Shadowglade RPG Setting for Pathfinder

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great stuff here Torstan, the mountains are especially good.

My only little nit-pick is the escarpment looks 'off' to me, don't know why and have no ideas on how it might be changed.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Okay, you're the second person to point to that escarpment. Can you take another look and give me some ideas as to what feels off?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think that it lacks a sense of 'height' - it looks more like a gash or heavy crease in the map.

Maybe add a bit of 'hills' leading up to it or something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Okay, I'll have a fiddle with that and see what I can come up with.

The mountains looks great. Must have took a while to make. The woods looks good as well - I might borrow the style

The only possible improvement would be the rivers which sometimes seems flow uphill.

The escarpment could be made so that the cliffs were visible. Also try to make the "lower" ground a little bit brighter close to the cliffs. See my quick modifications below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plateau.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	22246  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-19-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Okay, any chance you can circle areas where you think the rivers flow uphill? I'll tweak any areas that you find. I'm not sure that lightening the base of the escarpment will work - it's not really what it would look like. My plan had been to show a bit of the cliff. I'll put a new version up with that later on.

I must first say again that I love the look of those mountains. Are they "hand drawn"?.

I just meant that when you make the "lower" ground darken it might look like the ground are lower than the ground to the west.

Rivers can be somewhat of a personal opinion but I've attached my suggestions.

(The question mark: Only a minor remark/question: it seems unlikely that the river would flow into the hills from the plains (but it would of course work if the plains are higher ground than the hills).)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plateau2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	587.6 KB 
ID:	22247  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

This is fantastic. Both the mountains and the forests, especially, are beautiful.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

@Carnifex. I see your point. Thanks for the fresh eyes. I'll fix the hills around there to make it clear where the water would flow. I see what you mean about the gradual darkening towards the east looking like the ground drops off towards the escarpment. That would of course screw up the water flow. I'm not totally sure how to go about fixing that, but I have some ideas.

With the mountains - yes they are totally hand drawn with a standard hard round brush. They're made up of one overlay layer and two soft light layers where the light and shade and colours are built up over a parchmenty textured background.

That kind of effect is hard to portray on this kind of map. I'll be interested in your solution since it may have an application in the project I'm working on
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast