Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commission piece - The Shadowglade RPG Setting for Pathfinder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wip Commission piece - The Shadowglade RPG Setting for Pathfinder

I was commissioned to map out the world of the Shadowglade setting for Pathfinder - a new setting that will be coming out later this year. The developer was kind enough to allow me to make the work in progress public. To find out more about the setting and the company you can see the Facebook group or the website for the company - Neo Productions.

Here's a quick run through the WIPs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadowglade.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	22189

Name:	Shadowgade2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	560.9 KB 
ID:	22190

Name:	Shadowgade3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	22191

Name:	Shadowgade4.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	22192

I'm currently at the point of adding in the forests and softening up the rivers. After that I'll do the roads, cities and labeling.

Note that this is a commission so all images in this thread are rights reserved.
    Last edited by torstan; 02-18-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice. I see one river violation (the splitting up of the 2nd river from the east, at the lake) and a minor glitch (the river that flows out of the central north lake seems to flow up-hill for some time; it's just a misalignment though). Will be interesting to see this with labels and all!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I can see how the central river comes rather close to the set of hills and could look like it's going uphill, but I can't see any river violations, and I've been trying.

everything looks kosher to me.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I mean the bit marked in the attachment - looks like a big canyon to me, I'd say the entire lake should empty into it instead of flowing out to the west as well :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	violation.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	22194  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Outstanding Tman. Looks like one of your finest (to me cuz I like this style). I think you might have a bit too much white snow but that's very minor.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ah ha, yes. That's not a canyon, but rather an escarpment. So the water flows over a waterfall and the runs to the sea. If it were a canyon you'd be dead right.

As for the uphill bit, there are a couple of places where it's questionable (for those that are very keen - there's a section where a river flows over the shoulder of a mountain) but I'l go in and fix those. That's the inevitable danger of drawing the rivers in first.

The snow is probably just a matter of me making my highlights too bright. There should only really be a suggestion of snow along the northern mountain range. I'll tone down the sharp bright highlights elsewhere. The mountains are supposed to be jagged and sharp as they were created recently. So I wanted them to have clean sharp highlights on the crests and edges.

escarpment.. i had to google that one .. but a pretty awesome map this is. I love the mountains (especially zoomed in, amazing detail!) Also the dark terrain north of the mountains is pretty cool (great detail and color/texture). You plan on using that kind of terrain-technique for the entire map? cheers

Thanks guys.

@Djekspek: Nope - the region north of the border is blasted and barren so that's an area all of it's own style. It was done using overlay and soft light layers and a wonderful spatter brush. The rest was all (pretty much) done with a standard hard round brush.

@Rob - I like these too. The problem is that I initially started off wanting to do these as obviously hand drawn to make them nice and quick but still attractive - and over time they've got more and more detailed. Ah well.

Here's an update with the forests in and detailed as well as more mellow rivers, an overall coastal glow and some hills.

Name:	Shadowglade5.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	22202

Next up - the swamp to the SW (with the meandering river), towns and roads, fix the odd uphill river, title, legend and done!

really nice.. I'm a bit jealous at how nice your continental maps look.

did I say a bit. I meant grossly jealous.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast