Thread: Advice on miniature gaming

Help Advice on miniature gaming

So I'm in the process of creating a game system/world that is futuristic. Space exploration will be a big part of it and you know if there is space exploration that there will be space battles.
    I was thinking standard rpg type rules for regular game-play, but also then having a subset of rules for space battles... making it sort of strategic in nature.
    Problem is, I don't want it to be overly complicated. Most rpgs already have a big ass book of rules just for standard play. What I'm hoping for is something quick and dirty that is simple for everyone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone out there been looking for something similar? I've searched google for Silent Death ICE and Starmada, but it seems like those are board games and I couldn't find any info on the rules.

I'm eager to get a game mat and try it out.. I just got 24 minis today and started painting them... woohoo!!
    Only cost 12$ too!

Anyway hope you guys can help me out here! Thanks

I added some pictures of the minis, just in case anyone was curious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010520.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	22220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010522.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	22221  
    Last edited by Fuse; 02-18-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: added photos

i think enworld has a space fight game that they are plugging that may be good.
    i myself was thinking of making a simple miniatures space battle game... but realized that working in 3 dimensions was going to break my brain and gave up.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Warhammer 40k has a space battle version, it involves capital ships and planets, moons, etc, pretty large scale. I recall when it first came out it was very easy to learn (was not 3d, all was on a flat plane) Battlefleet Gothic - I remember now.
    If you're looking for something more along the lines of fighter combat, there's one game I used to play that was quick and dirty and very simple to play, but blasted if I can remember what it was called. Even looking through reference lists, i can't recall, but I do remember there was a videogame version (in CGA on a tandy no less!) that was based on it, and worked very well.

If nothing else, this list may help: http://spaceship.brainiac.com/spacemini.html

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

GW's BFG is pretty good. I have many fleets from that game. There's also Ground Zero Games' Full Thrust (and supplement More Thrust). If you want simple, though, you might want to check out Wizard's Star Wars Miniature Battles and the rules in the Star Wars Saga RPG. It treats starship (and air/ground vehicle) combat like character combat. Not the most realistic simulation of space combat ever but definitely a simple enough system to include in a RPG. Not saying to copy it, just that you might want something similar. Of course you could go the other direction and do something like Harpoon in space Kill me first, though, because I'll be forced to buy it and then I'll hate myself later because I just can't wrap my head around the rules.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    So I'm in the process of creating a game system/world that is futuristic. Space exploration will be a big part of it and you know if there is space exploration that there will be space battles.
    I was thinking standard rpg type rules for regular game-play, but also then having a subset of rules for space battles... making it sort of strategic in nature.
    Problem is, I don't want it to be overly complicated. Most rpgs already have a big ass book of rules just for standard play. What I'm hoping for is something quick and dirty that is simple for everyone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone out there been looking for something similar? I've searched google for Silent Death ICE and Starmada, but it seems like those are board games and I couldn't find any info on the rules.

Anyway hope you guys can help me out here! Thanks
    Go with Full thrust. movement is as simple or as complex as you like, combat is all d6 based and easy to remember you want be lookng at charts after a few minutes.. its a heads up game, ive taught to many people in 10 minutes

You have free rules at: http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerc...=5983532.29131
    the only way gzg could deliver faster is if they used a time machine

new ships and stats all the time at http://fullthrust.star-ranger.com/
    you can roll your own ships and use different genres: bsg b5 starwars you name it. "cross dimensions" is FUN
    http://nift.firedrake.org/Weap-Def_Archive.htm
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~laran...lthrust/rules/

Bob
    --
    Bob Blanchett
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Thrust, Modding FT, EFSB/B5
    FT: NSL, IJSN, NAC, ESU, KV.
    B5/FA: EA, MF, NR, CR, BKS, SH.
    GDW space boardgamer(imperium, 5FW)
    Napoleonic Naval Wargamer.
    Member, Fairfield KOST wargamers.
    http://z9m9z.lurgi.org

Heh. Judging from your sig you're the new resident expert on the topic. I'm just an avid reader of rulesets. Welcome to the boards.
    M

Thank you! Thank you!

*Dives into reading*

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Heh. Judging from your sig you're the new resident expert on the topic. I'm just an avid reader of rulesets. Welcome to the boards.
    M
    no worries fellas.
    any questions grab me via my blog..
    happy to help!
    have heaps of fun!

PS theres a few players around seattle who'd love to hear from you tellem you found them via the gzgfinder!

have a look at the GZGfinder (a map I started) http://tinyurl.com/gzgfinder-map
    Last edited by bobblanchett; 02-20-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: adding map