Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *** Feb/March Lite Challenge: Mapping a Myth CLOSED ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

check ... so, where is EST, I'l like to enter it into my iphone in "world clock" - but it asks for a city ... will the voting still be for 5 days, concidering the moving of the deadline?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

New York City is EST

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, New York is EST which is of course totally unrelated to the location of the person that will be doing the closing....

Blog Entries

*lol*... but of course, wouldn't think of you favoring your location torstan ... and as it happens, I have allready added NY to my iphone as I have two friends living there - so couldn't be easier Thanks both
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Actually that does bring up an important point. As the US does daylight saving differently to most of the rest of the world, EST is currently GMT -4 rather than GMT -5 as normal.

Blog Entries

*lol*... well, as long as the time is fixed to NY, I guess we just have to adjust our watches accordingly ... and then we can try to get the US to follow the rest of the world afterwards... *lol*
    regs tilt

Good luck with that.

Half my electronics come from home (UK) so it took a lot of care to figure out what time it was yesterday morning...

Blog Entries

So, you're not a native to NY?
    I've changed countries too, from Denmark to Sweden - so not that big of a change - and my company is still in Denmark so I go there often.
    regs tilt

Nope - I move around quite a lot.

Moutarde did a lovely illustration of a myth, complete with source materials and what appeared to be a nice fantasy research context. Lovely picture of a scroll that might be described as a map, technically well executed and integrated with the context. But it just didn't seem well suited to the purpose of being a map.

Greason Wolfe went to the other extreme, opting for what appeared to be a fully geologically accurate illustration. It was very photographic and well executed, but it seemed to me to be lacking "mapness".

tilt did what best matched my mental model of a "map" of those presented for the challenge. It showed the important features of a place for the purpose of describing a myth. Was it technically the best executed from a technical standpoint? Probably not by the current standards of most of the guild folks. Did it look like a photograph? Certainly not. It had a few of the external flourishes that would mark it as a picture of a map (some of the shading on the map appeared to be trying to invoke a parchment-type background and it was clear from the symbol style that it was intended to look like a picture of a woodcut from an old book), but those flourishes were all very subordinate to the map.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123