Thread: How do I add vegetation to Terragen landscapes?

Question How do I add vegetation to Terragen landscapes?

I've been making some Terragen images of my game world. Can anyone tell me how to add reasonably convincing vegetation, either in in photoshop or other freely available/ downloadable program?

Yay, another Terragen user.

First off, which version are you using? If it is the older version (0.9.43) I might be able to help with that. If, however, it is the newer version, I won't be able to offer much help.

For the older version, there are a number of good tutorials here -> http://cwied.virtualave.net/Terragen/index.html

You could also take a look here -> http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/resources.shtml (note, some of the links on this page no longer work, unfortunately)

Lastly, there is my own work with Terragen, though I haven't really "tutorialized" any of it yet, but it mostly involves using the SOPack plug-in and some pre-rendering work in PSP and/or Wilbur. I'd be happy to share what I have if you've got the patience to wait for me to "detail" the processes.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks. I am using Version 9.0.43 so hopefuly you can help.

I have been making sections of my world maps in TerraPainter and rendering them in Terragen and I am thrilled with the base results. I'd just like to add more topical features. I tried cutting trees from photographs and pasting them into the Terragen image but the results were not so great. I've heard that you can get software like property developers use to mock up landscapes but that they can be fairly pricey. I will investigate your links but would also appreciate any tutorials you could come up with..or even some tips to go on with.

Please post some samples of your work too.

Yours in eager patience

AP

Most of what I've managed so far, in experiments, has been accomplished based on the tutorials in that first link and the use of Wilbur (a free app by our very own Waldonrate). To make any of them work, however, you'll need, at a minimum, the TGPGuiLib.dll, along with the SOPack, Firmament and the FEO Plug-ins, most of which should be available through the second link. If/When time permits (still trying to move and have another relative going in for surgery tomorrow), I'll try to post some tips and examples, but it may be a day or two before I can get to that.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

No rush, I've had a look at the links and there is plenty to go on with.