Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain test

Default Mountain test

Been busy trying out some mountain styles. Now I'm testing a special brush combined with layer styles. Drawing mountains this way is very easy - a few strokes and the mountains are done (although fine tuning the brush and finding the perfect the layer style took several hours).

I'm quite happy with the result but I guess everything can be improved so... comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountian_test1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	453.8 KB 
ID:	22266  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, looks great for just a brush and some styles.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for taking a look at the test.

Posted small update below. Don't know how to improve further. I want it as good as I can get it.

Name:	mountian_test2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	22267  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it they have the 'spiny-ness' that at times gets overlooked for a "satellite" style.

I'm always tinkering with different ways to do mountains, though I generally stay away from the whole custom brush thing and try to do it with filters and layer styles alone.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Why do you stay away from custom brushes? I can imagine you like a more streamlined (and sometimes faster) workflow?

From the start I was thinking I'd stay away from custom brushes or time-consuming work with filters (which also makes adjustments more difficult). I ended up making this brush because I could not get the result I wanted with other techniques (othen than doing it by hand).

Maybe there are some good filters (or combination of filters) that can be used to make mountains?
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-20-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking good. I like the variation you get with the ridge sharpness. The shadows are lovely, though they're a bit warm in places. Perhaps try pushing them more towards blue or desaturate them. Any chance of a breakdown of the layer styles and the custom brush?

Speaking as someone who's just spent the morning messing around with layers and layer styles while working through Tear's tutorial, I'd love to try it with a brush. I'm interested in looking into Wilbur as well, based on what I read in a jezelf tutorial and WIP post. His mountains look a lot like the one's in torstan's most recent effort.

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Another minor update. Made the shadows a little bit more blue and other minor stuff.

Name:	mountian_test3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	22295  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    Why do you stay away from custom brushes? I can imagine you like a more streamlined (and sometimes faster) workflow?
    'Cause I'm to lazy to make the brushes
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like how they look. What layer styles and what sort of brush did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast