Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desolate - WIP/Near-finished

Great colors, but the rivers are all backwards. The rivers should merge into one river that empties into the ocean as they flow down from the high ground. The arrangement of the islands is awesome! keep it up.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks! The rivers aren't backwards, though. Rivers can split and finish like that. I've seen it here in Australia. A few of the tributaries of the Brisbane River split off like that and flow towards little puddles. They're called creeks.

@"River problems":
    How long are these creeks? Are they filled the whole year or only after strong rains? When a river splits one of this arms will dig his bed deeper and gain more of the water until the other eventually dries out (up?). There is practically no chance that a river system with two exits (both reaching the ocean) is stable over a longer timespan. Even river deltas are not stationary, they change rather quickly (over decades).

I'll say the same thing as I said here. I've seen this in Australia. I live in Brisbane rather close to the river (I'm a few minutes out from the inner city), and there are several creeks in my area that split from the Brisbane River. I've looked at a lot of topographical maps of my area and other areas of Queensland; most of these were when my dad used to tell me about all the places he lived and travelled to.

I wouldn't have done it the way I did it if it was wrong. If it really was wrong, then I'd go and I'd change it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I jumped over to FlashEarth to have a look at Brisbane. Those creeks join the Brisbane river not split off. Here are some screenshots.:

Screen1 shows the Brisbane River in the center and the Albert river and delta in the lower right.
    Screen2 shows a zoomed in Brisbane River.
    Screen3 shows the North Pine River which is north of the Brisbane River.
    Screen4 shows the Albert River and delta zoomed.
    Screen5 shows an even closer zoom of the Brisbane.

So your map shows what appears to be really large deltas on every river or a map full of splitting rivers which doesn't happen on our world. The caveat is that this is your world so maybe the rivers flow from the ocean inland or maybe that every river really does have a large flood plain around the coast to support such large deltas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	31178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	31179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	31180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	31181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	31182  

If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Damn, my city looks GOOD from space. Regardless, that doesn't show many of the individual creeks, not to mention quite a few of the places outside Brisbane that I've been with creeks like that.

On other notes, I realised that my rivers are flowing from the mountains to the ocean which is fine, except that they're not taking heed of the actual terrain. As you can see, there are quite a few cracks visible (due to some weird land bump that I can't replicate), so I'm redoing the rivers anyway so they actually go in between ridges and not straight over the top.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Regardless dude, you're wrong. No need to try to cover up your error with excuses...just fix your backwards rivers, no big deal. That sounds harsh but you're being stubborn about something that doesn't exist in physical or natural law except in deltas. Deltas have a fan but they don't extend inland for hundreds of miles. How much more zoom do you need? I don't see any creeks splitting off from the river to go to the ocean. Your perception is flawed, those creeks are joining the river. We're trying to help you so accept it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen6.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	31188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen7.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	31189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen8.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	31190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen9.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	31191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen10.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	31192  

If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is a cool looking map. I like the colors you used too.

On a side note, the first time I did rivers after I knew how they worked, I still did them backwards. I got it flip flopped in my mind as I was drawing them out. Fortunately I caught it after I took a break but it sucked having to redo them. Keep on mapping!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks, Jaxilon!

Quote Originally Posted by VincentAlliath View Post
    Damn, my city looks GOOD from space. Regardless, that doesn't show many of the individual creeks, not to mention quite a few of the places outside Brisbane that I've been with creeks like that.

On other notes, I realised that my rivers are flowing from the mountains to the ocean which is fine, except that they're not taking heed of the actual terrain. As you can see, there are quite a few cracks visible (due to some weird land bump that I can't replicate), so I'm redoing the rivers anyway so they actually go in between ridges and not straight over the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Regardless dude, you're wrong. No need to try to cover up your error with excuses...just fix your backwards rivers, no big deal. That sounds harsh but you're being stubborn about something that doesn't exist in physical or natural law except in deltas. Deltas have a fan but they don't extend inland for hundreds of miles. How much more zoom do you need? I don't see any creeks splitting off from the river to go to the ocean. Your perception is flawed, those creeks are joining the river. We're trying to help you so accept it.
    Regardless of the fact that I ended up wanting to do the rivers again anyway? Also, I don't have any creeks going from my rivers into the ocean either.

I think we can safely close discussion on the rivers for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12