Thread: The Black Tunnels

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Map The Black Tunnels

Once in a world, there stood two massive empires, Gianor and Durnvia; both holding impressive armies, but both were clinging to a dying economy. What little trade there was between the two superpowers was hindered by a great range of mountains known as the Icewall, through which there was but a narrow pass, which had recently become infested with giants. To increase trade between the two nations, the emperor of Gianor proposed that a tunnel should be dug beneath the mountains, establishing a much safer trade route. At the entrances on both sides would be built two mighty fortress's, defending the critical trade route. Excavation began, relying on giant slaves for the most part.

As excavation continued, a large cavern was discovered. It was very likely an old Dragon cavern, but an ancient altar was discovered in a side room, suggesting that it had been later converted into the headquarters of a religious sect. Not long after the digging continued, the miners discovered a massive chasm, perfectly round, and seemingly no bottom. Nicknamed Aluduin (means Mountain's Piercing in Gianorian), legends and rumours were quick sprung up as to what may lay at the bottom, but it is generally accepted that the dragon cave and the religious relics's proximity to the chasm could not be coincidence. Excavation continued once a bridge was constructed over the Chasm. Eventually, the tunnel was completed, and trade flourished between the two empires, but it is still a mystery as to what dwells at the bottom of the cavern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnel of the Wall.JPG 
Views:	618 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	22152  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't believe that no one has said anything about this one so far. This is nice, man. Have some reppage from me cuz I like this whole thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice stuff. I'd rough up the clean grey rectangles. They're too straight and perfect for the lovely grungy structure of the rest of the map. Otherwise, really good work.

Thanks very much! i will keep in mind the boxes for next time

Hey yeah, how come I haven't seen this one yet? The map is just lovely and the back-story is well thought out. Are you planning to use this map for a campaign? Anyway, great job as always Rythal, I admire the "grunge atlas/classic" style maps that you do. Have some rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

nah, there more like parts of a story which I may or may not get around to writing. Making the maps and having back stories gives me puzzle pieces that I might eventually pull together and make a full length book, though getting around to writing injvolves... comitment, something that at the moment I'm to lazy/"busy" to do.

Knowing that giant slaves had done most of the work would worry me if I were involved with this passage. As to the map, the colors suit the theme well, and you include some interesting features. A scale would be nice. As to the key: 5,6 - "Barrack" takes a "c"; while "Barracks" would be more usual, "Barrack" is acceptable; 16, 20 - the backstory suggests sufficiently recent construction that it is unlikely the apostrophes would have been dropped from "Aluduin's" and "King's" (or "Kings'"); 18 - "Lower" should be capitalized to maintain consistency with the rest of the key.

This is nice! I really like the backstory, though I inevitably am curious about what you planned at the bottom of that chasm (if anything). Next to the other crit offered by the other posters, might I suggest a little addition to the backstory? Why are the tunnels black?

I'm a curious person sometimes. But I know I like what I'm seeing. Lets see if I can shell out some reputation for this!

Hmmm yes, the labeling and key was done a bit hastily, and to be honest, there is no particular reason the tunnels are black, aside from laziness to think of a more elegant and fitting name. That said, thank you both for providing crits. This is, I believe, my first try at underground mapping. As to what lays at the bottom of the Chasm, I plan on making a map revealing its secrets once I'm done with the Lite Mapping Challenge