Thread: FF12 style mapping?

Post FF12 style mapping?

Just curious if anyone has tried to imitate the style of the FF12 style world map.

I really liked its washed out, faded, mute colors with a sort of isometric icon for cities and dungeons. I have seen some silmilar, but nothing quite the same.
    I think it would be cool to see someone do this in a mapping challenge.. or even just for fun. I'd give it a go, but I have no idea how to do iso drawings.. at least not very well..

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Well, the FF12 map is pretty simple since it doesn't show forests, mountains, desert and all that. So doing a map in that style would basically be sea layer, a land layer with an outline border and then a bunch of grunge brushes to get the washed out look. As for the isometric-looking symbols, you could probably find some on the net. I think you can actually get the symbols from one of the old SimCity or Civilization games, they might fit in nice.

If it helps you, or anyone else, to figure out this style here is the FF12 map for reference. God I loved that game, can't see why so many people don't like it, it's fine.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ivalice-World-Map.jpg 
Views:	6180 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	22370  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

It's really not a very spectacular map. I've seen better maps on here that would have been done with less than half the effort that would have been put into this.

All the lines across the map clash and give the whole piece a very confused feel. It might not be so bad if all those crossing lines were placed only over the sea. At least then it wouldn't clash so horribly with the road lines which look awkward enough as is.

I'm a big FF12 fan too as it happens. Probably my favourite of the whole series (and I've been playing them a long time). Anyway, after initially reading this, I decided to give the style a try, but I couldn't quite emulate the texture of the land and sea. Anyone else tried it?