Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware

Question Hardware

Greetings!

I know this is a subforum for software, but as i didn't find a better place to ask, I'll do it here:

What kind of hardware do you use for your maps? I mean, I have lots of difficulties using a mouse for drawing.

So what should I use instead?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could draw it on paper and then scan it in and work on it on the computer or you could use a tablet. Using the mouse to draw takes time and by the time I got my tablet I was already doing just fine with a mouse.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

By tablets you mean those big touchpads you can connect to the PC?

Most tablets come with a stylus that you hold like a pencil. This makes for a more intuitive interface for drawing. Others have a touch surface which I find a bit less useful, but some people like it. Others can do both. I highly recommend a Wacom tablet for mapping--it's so much better than using a mouse, and easier on the wrists as well. The best value on the market right now, in my opinion, is the Wacom Bamboo Fun. Take a look at the sticky at the top of the General Discussions forum called "Mouse vs. Tablet."
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Another plus for me Is that i am left handed, but I have always used a mouse with my right hand. Now I can tie one set of tools to my mouse and another to my tablet for dual.dexterous (Sp) fun

You'll be like a digital Demitri Martin!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey, thanks for the suggestions.

Guild Novice

I'm using a Touchscreen-All-in-One PC. If you use a ball-pen on the touchscreen, it's similar to a tablet.

Well, I have a tablet-PC, but I lost the original OS Windows XP Mobile, and now I can't install the drivers for the touchscreen.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

The problem with some stylus+screen interfaces, (IMHO) is that they often wear grooves into the surface, because they're so hard. Of course, this is all sorta second-hand .. I've not had the experience using a stylus, but I've seen the devices they were used on. Bleh. On the otherhand, I'm sure a stylus is much better to use than a ball-point pen. Stylus' are cheap, perhaps you could invest in one?

The advantage of a touch PC, is of course, having the surface BE the image you're manipulating.

All hat being said -- at the moment Amazon.com has a "sale" of sorts on the Wacom Bamboo Fun. Something like $5 USD less than retail, and no shipping. I think I'll get one. Maybe. They have some positive reviews also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast