Thread: [WIP] Nysii

Default [WIP] Nysii

This is my current project I'm working on for my next D&D game. A Mediterranean-style bit of land that's roughly around the equator of the world. This is a total departure of how I usually make maps. I decided to give some of the tutorials here a try. I went with -Saderan-a-tutorial]Tear's excellent tutorial. I have to say that the techniques he use are better than my old ones, though I think I'm going to put my own spin on the process by the time I'm done.

This is still a bit rough around the edges. I have the basic geography down but I really need to fine tune things. I am pretty happy with the mountains, though. I think I'm going to replace some of the standard filters with more of my custom ones to get better textures and a bit more variation. But it's a great start, I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nysii.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	22384

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It is indeed a great start, looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Okay, is it just me, or does the color on the map look off to folks? I feel like it should be a bit darker.

looking good so far SvD! as for the colors i guess in the end its a matter of taste and style. (Tear is a master in coloring maps in a very subtle way). I'm not sure what would look best, maybe you can try out some versions with more/less saturation and/or contrast and/or brightness so we can see how they look? cheers

Guild Journeyer

Looks like a great start I agree color is a bit off but it is a really good base.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking nice. I have to point out that your rivers need a bit of TLC (there's a lake that drains to the sea through three separate rivers, and that never happens). I like the overall look. I'm not sure the colours need too much adjustment, but you certainly could go darker. At the moment my two comments would be that the image has an overall speckle to it that's a bit distracting. Also, your forests are very diffuse rather than clumping into copses and concentrated areas.

I love the mountains - they're coming along really well.

Okay, so I did some more tweaking and I think I'm a lot happier with things. I took out the one separate river leading out from the lake, though I'm leaving the other two (who do branch shortly after they exit the lake) for campaign purposes. I changed up the color scheme a bit, as this is supposed to be fairly Mediterranean in clime and the browns seemed to work better for me. I'm pretty happy with this so far, but I'd like to push it a bit further if people have more suggestions or comments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nysii-WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	480.9 KB 
ID:	22424

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Not sure how I missed this earlier, it's looking pretty nifty. I like that dragon shaped hill in the northeast, interesting touch And you did a fabulous job of the seas near the coasts, nice work there.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Not sure how I missed this earlier, it's looking pretty nifty. I like that dragon shaped hill in the northeast, interesting touch And you did a fabulous job of the seas near the coasts, nice work there.
    Yeah, the coastal areas are my favorite part. Ironically they didn't take me all that long - just some doodling with my wacom tablet.

I'm still not happy with the way the mountains look, but now I think I have it narrowed down to some sort of texture. I'm also going to take out one or two of the smaller islands, I think, as it looks a bit crowded.