Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hex Grids, coordinate systems, etc...?

Default Hex Grids, coordinate systems, etc...?

For my long term Abebe project, I'm considering switching to a hex grid and coordinate system to match their base 12 (6 being a nice factor of 12) counting system. If I could have a grid based on 12 (other than using 12x12 blocks of rectangles) I'd be open to it.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-retry-final.png 
Views:	821 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	23179

I've read a bit online about hex coordinate systems, but am not really happy with what I've read. None of the systems seem, well, very elegant.

Have any of you got suggestions? Right now I'm thinking of simple. The larger grid would be measured using (x,y) where x is the column, y is the number of hexes upward (1/2 hex at base counts as #1). I'm not sure about the smaller hexes within the red hexes. I'd like that figure out a variation of 6's for those as well, but this was the only size I had success matching up exactly. As for these more specific coordinates - any ideas? Especially how to display, identify the function of the system.

One of my visual goals, here, was to have the hexes obvious when needed, but not distracted with respect to the most important content of the map - the land and ocean spaces. I'm feeling pleased with it right now - but am definitely open to suggestions for improvements or further directions to experiment in. (And no, I've not placed climate regions yet, I'm still experimenting there).

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions. I've learned a lot from all of you since I joined. Thanks again!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No suggestions but it looks nice to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep.. looks really good - discreet but yet no problem seeing them
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks guys - I appreciate it.

I also managed to get each red to have, essentially, 12 columns across it. And 6 units to a side. Baby steps

I think I've reached something I'm satisfied with - though I'm definitely open to more opinions and suggestions as I'd like this be useful longer-term.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abebe-hex-finala..png 
Views:	531 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	23288

If I need to be more specific in co-ordinates, I'll be able to refer to a # (in base 12, hence the odd characters) that ID's a specific small grid within a larger red grid.

And, in case it's useful to anyone, here's the AI master file I made. In the zip are two files. hex-f.ai is the numbers seen in small hexes (it is size-matched to the other file). hex.ai contains 4 groupings: the red coordinates, red hexes, black hexes, and black edge. All should be editable.

hex (AI)..zip

Oh - it's proportions are ~ 2:1

Blog Entries

looks very complex... oh and you have to number 18's
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

@#$@#%@#$ Thanks!

Easy to fix - the problem is the filesize. It's ~23gigs saved...takes a while to open - even longer to save.

Blog Entries

yep... one could always use a bigger faster computer... that goes also the day after getting a new one
    regs tilt

Next mother board...6 ram slots....4GB DDR3 ram prices supposedly dropping soon...24GB of ram will make me happy. If I can afford it.

Blog Entries

only got 2 gig in my pc and 4 in my mac... works fine
    regs tilt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast