Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fanavar Empire, or the first map Ive ever made. Help.

Wip The Fanavar Empire, or the first map Ive ever made. Help.

So like the title says this is the land of the Fanavar Empire that I am trying to create and its the first map I have ever made, in fact its the first thing Ive ever made in PS ever outside really basic photo touch ups. The reason I am making this map is to have a foundation for a story I want to write and I dont want to start without having a solid picture of where its happening and where the people I am writing about came from and the kinds of environments they developed out of. Ive done some poking around on the forums and looked at a lot of peoples work and three that stuck out the most were Tear's Westeros, Shegu by Bohunk and most of all Ramah's Vaniya. Ive also looked at a number of Ascension's tutorials, though I don't think his style is exactly right for my purposes, though I have to say I love his Antique style map a lot.

So far Ive made two distinct maps the first was a complete failure that a 4 year old could have drawn. The second has come out much better and I have two versions of it, though I am not opposed but rather leaning towards scrapping this too and starting from scratch. I am not sure which direction to take or even how to finish them but V1 is more realistic with bump mapping and actual mountains and elevations that took me a while to figure out and Im still not happy with, while V2 is very simple with no fancy style effects and Ive only used Minty's mountains, thank you those are awesome by the way, so far and I like the simplistic look akin to Ramah's Vaniya.

My overall goal is to create a map encompassing a land surrounded by water that is comparable in size to the United States or Europe and as diverse geographically, with then enough detail to be a worthwhile reference for when I write my story. So any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, especially if people know of specific plugins or other tools I should get for PS or if theres another program altogether that I should get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DoR V.2.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	22390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DoR V1.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	22391  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

looks great so far... I really like the shape of the land.

rivers are mostly allright, but the one in the bottom left corner... I recall reading that rivers dont join at 90 degree angles somewhere, though I don't think I read that on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    looks great so far... I really like the shape of the land.

rivers are mostly allright, but the one in the bottom left corner... I recall reading that rivers dont join at 90 degree angles somewhere, though I don't think I read that on this site.

Better not tell the Nechako River that, because it feeds into the Fraser at a near 90 degrees in Prince George, British Columbia

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.264187&z=13
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Mapwise, I like the map, I like the look. Waiting for more!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    The River Police will get in trouble if they try to enforce a law like that! I can think of several real world contradictions.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

The shape makes me think of a dinosaur skull, but that may just be me. You have a few rivers that start very close to the sea and flow the other direction for no visible reason (not necessarily wrong, but when you get down to closer detail, you'll need some coastal heights in those places.

I also see a dinosaur skull inthere lol.
    Very well done, considering it's your first map O.o
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

ah, I was thinking about a different rule then, my apologies.

again, a great map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great start, looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast