Thread: Long

Map Long

So this is one of the regions of the Long Dynasty.

I created this map in FM7, which at the time didn't have a function for filling an area with symbols. The Dwarven Mountains took forever.

A little background. The continent is a fantasy version of feudal China. The dynasty is divided into 3 empires, each rules by a mighty immortal dragon (Thus the name Long). The empire that this region falls into is Long Gam. Long Gam is ruled by the mighty Gold dragon by the same name. He is the embodiment of all that is good and just, and rules his empire fairly but with an iron fist.

The capitol city sits along the coast at the southern tip of the Dwarven Mountain. Legend holds that Kar, the mighty god of the dwarves, held the mountain in place when Liu Cheng clapped his hands and leveled ground of the world. It is the largest mountain range in the world, and home of the largest population of dwarves in the world. The tunnels under the mountain stretch on for thousands of miles. This is also where Long Gam lives.

I gotta get to bed right now, but I will post more about this region tomorrow

[edit] Fixed the image link. Thank you ravells
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	1247  
    Last edited by Xenmas; 10-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.

You'll have to copy and paste the link to see it. Yahoo doesn't like direct links....

Wow..you dropped all those mountains by hand? Kudos!
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Nice map, few critiques:

Some of your 'dots' for cities lie beneath the roads, can you put them above the roads?

City Names, when I place them in my maps I try my utmost to not have them placed over other map features, in this case the roads or coast. It breaks it up on the eyes, and would look cleaner otherwise.

Otherwise, good map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

While enjoying your stay in the Long Gam Empire, there are some cities you should take in.

Feng Si - All roads lead to Feng Si. This city has become the trading capiton of the Long Gam province. Exotic spices, meats, metals, and other goods can be acquired here, at a price. Unfortunately, due to the massive traffic that passes through this city, it has become the crime center for the entire empire. Long Gam's Dragon Knights keep as much control as they can, but it is a daunting task.

Naam Sing - Home of the largest university and library in the world. Scholars of all walks of life flock to Naam Sing to furthery their studies. Naam Sing is also home of the legal system of Long Gam. This is where almost every law is founded, and where most of them are enforced.

Gam Haap Chi - This is less of a city, and more of a community founded around the Temple of the Dragon Knights. It is commong knowledge that when a Knight is accepted into the ranks of Long, they have a crystal formed from the body of their emperor embedded into their chest. This temple is where that ceremony takes place.

Leui Shan - This is the only Human/Dwarf trading post in the entire Long Dynasty. Dwarves travel from True Undermount to exchange weapons and brews for grain and spices. This is the one stop shop for everything Dwarven, but they don't take Wu Shu here. If you want to acquire your one of a kind Dwarven armor, you better be prepared to barter.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Nice map, few critiques:

Some of your 'dots' for cities lie beneath the roads, can you put them above the roads?

City Names, when I place them in my maps I try my utmost to not have them placed over other map features, in this case the roads or coast. It breaks it up on the eyes, and would look cleaner otherwise.

Otherwise, good map.
    Good advise. This map, unfortunately, is from a game that I am no longer running. I will take those points into account with my maps for the three games that I am still working on. I'm trying to get away from using dots as a whole for cities anymore, which should solve the road problem. I want to try and make the cities look more like cities.

My scale was way out of wack on this map as well. I am learning to keep things in a much smaller scale and build around them. Yet still, my temple that I'm working on spans three football fields....Yeesh