Thread: Greetings Gents, First post- 3x maps included

Guild Applicant

Map Greetings Gents, First post- 3x maps included

Greetings- I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not (is this where I should post, ect ect). Either way I'm including two maps I've done, all on Photoshop CS4. I'm new to this so be gentle, after seeing some of the things these gents are capable of I've got plenty of new ideas! Thanks in advance for any input...

It might look a bit odd- in my "world" the habitable land is actually just a small pocket on an infinitesimally large mountain- therefore mountain range walls stretch into inhospitably high regions (and conversely, even the waters fall over the edge of this habitable land into the crushing depths below).

Thanks again, I look forward to some feedback!

http://imgur.com/khSLP.jpg

http://imgur.com/fMiA1.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Other than the rivers they look nice, the first one is quite nice. Not sure what the green and red clouds are for, fog of war? For rivers we have numerous topics on how to get them looking right. We also have exceptions to those rules of physics but those exceptions are not frequent. All in all, though, good job and keep em coming.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension, these are quite nice but you have numerous "river infractions".
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the feedback gents- I'll check em out. Query though- for the untrained eye, what singled out the rivers as poor? Without a finished Key, I notice that some might take the country borders as rivers- this would not be intended in the final version...
    Last edited by Vengefulviking; 02-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Blog Entries

HI, nice maps and yea I think you need to look at this post.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

Certainly you have great style and ability.

Hi there and welcome!

Nice work so far indeed. The shape of your landmasses keep me interested and wondering what would be going on in each particular part of the world. Personally, I'm not really a big fan of large fonts used to name places, but since yours are transparent it doesn't obscure much of the underlying map. Do have a look at Redrobes' link, though, it's very valuable information.

Keep 'em coming!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great maps - except for the rivers. If those are county borders - definitely use a different color, but I do not think they are, since a lot of them lead to/from lakes. The river violations are way too many to list, but in general:

- Rivers do not connect two oceans (man-made canals can, of course)
    - Rivers always flow downhill
    - Lakes have only one outlet
    - Rivers merge, and (almost) never split up

I really, really like the style though, so you shall be repped.

Guild Applicant

Thanks mate! I'll work on the rivers next... I think I'm going to try and map em all out in Illustrator anyway again so I can vector the bastards later if I need to do country specific maps.

The biggest problem is that the rivers connect to the ocean/lakes in multiple points. This is possible at a delta, but the spaces between many of your outflows are too far apart to be deltas.