Thread: coastlines with cloud layers...

Default coastlines with cloud layers...

I've noticed that most of the tutorials use the method of putting clouds/difference clouds and then adding and subtracting with a brush, rather than just drawing the outline you want. Is there a specific technical reason for doing things this way, or is it just easier to get a good looking coastline this way?

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've used a variety of methods, and I find that different ways are good for different effects.

The rendered cloud method is great for the more atlas/satellite styled maps, as you can get some nicely detailed coastlines. It's a lot easier and quicker than trying to dray all those tiny inlets and bits by hand and still keep them looking semi-random/natural

For hand drawn styled maps, I either draw them out by hand entirely from scratch, or start with the rendered clouds for the randomness and draw over the edges on another layer.

Personal preference there, of course.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Aye, clouds are used just for the purpose of randomness. If you have a continent shape already in mind then using clouds makes the process a lot harder but can still be done once you know your way around the software.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, that matches what I thought. I'm learning a lot, but its slow going. I'm grinding through Ascension's Antique Map tute. I'll probably post some results to my Kingdom of the West thread when I have something that doesn't look like a**.

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license