0 0%
  • Mrrkyl - U-Turn Challenge

6 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** Feb 2010 Challenge Voting - OPDC***

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post *** Feb 2010 Challenge Voting - OPDC***

This month's challenge was to create a one page dungeon for the One Page Dungeon Contest (OPDC). Pretty simple and straightforward...it all has to fit on one standard piece of paper. The only other requirements are to have a name, author, map, and link to the creative commons license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), and no game stats so that it can be used for different gaming systems.

Vote for two (2)

Link to Thumbnails

Don't forget to rep the ones you vote for or any other ones you feel like deserve rep even if you didn't vote for them
    Last edited by RobA; 02-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

This month was one of those months when chosing a winner was like Robert Jordan's "choosing between two sunsets". Each is unique, but beautiful in its own right, and worthy of a vote.

I chose Ascension's "Tunnels of Turrack the Terrible" and Mrrkyl's "U-Turn Challenge" because they both evoked fond memories of old hand-drawn maps of the sort we used to make in the actual old days. I started playing Dungeons and Dragons back in 1978, and then everything was new and cool. Neither Acension's nor Mrrkyl's entries could have been pulled off back then. We didn't have the tools or the subtlety to do either, but we all would have recognized their dungeons as having been created by kindred spirits.

I could have as easily chosen pretty much any of the other ones and not felt awkward. You all deserve to win and I will reward you all the only way I can. Have some rep contributors!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since I was putting this thread together I had to look at all of these maps for about an hour so I got pretty familiar with them. I'm picking DJ and Imm. Imm did the map that I wanted to do but didn't know how to get started on it (I've been in a funk for a month now). DJ because he's trying something other than hand-drawn and I always applaud trying new things...especially when it comes out as natural as the other things he does. Now those are just the two I'm picking for now. All of these are way sweet and it's very hard to pick just two, for me. Clearly, we all understand what we're doing and how we're doing it AND that we have all made a fair number of dungeons in the past. Ah the good ole days, the smell of the paper and hot eraser, the lead on our hands, the limitless ideas in our heads. These all bring back great memories for me. Let me just add that you all rock so keep it up and you're all getting a nice whomp from my +15 holy bastard sword of enlightened repping. Oh and you guys rock
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Mine's just a +5 Holy Rearranger. I'm feeling blade envy.

Oh, just got back from looking at all the link dungeons at the OPDC homepage and I have to say, there's some real talent over there. Without the benefit of expert criticism and guidance that we here all enjoy on a daily basis, there is much evidence of creative genius. I think the Cartographer's Guild will represent well enough, but we have lots of worthy competition.
    Last edited by Immolate; 02-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Shout if anyone has a bad thumbnail - we have had some problems with the new layout but on the whole its been ok.

As a quick note, I've closed all the threads during the voting period as per past practice.

Lots of great entries here, hope everyone is also submitting as per the requirements to the OPDC!

I was really torn in my votes, but I'm a sucker for "puzzle" dungeons, so I ended up choosing Djekspek - Rotating Madness and Mrrkyl - U-Turn Challenge. If I had a third vote it would have gone to Immolate - The Bone Harvest Horror cause the iso work is great.

Kudo's to all, though! Everyone put in a super showing! (oh yeah - and I beat you all with my rep stick... hope it didn't hurt too much )

-Rob A>

I think best that I recuse myself from voting this month as I'm on the panel for the OPDC proper....beautiful entries one and all and some rep headed your way!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

It would have been great to have 5 votes, it was hard to narrow it down to just 2

Well done to all who entered, one of these times I'll try my hand at this again.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another difficult vote... in the end I chose Djekspek for the innovative idea and RobA because he collaborated with his son on the entry.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah. Tough to vote for just two. I went with Djekspek's because it was just so pro-looking and Immolate's because of the beautiful detail. Ascension and Mrrkyl were up there...and they're all great maps so rep all around!
    M

P.S. Um, yeah, except my unfinished one. Guess I didn't withdraw in time...and, to top it off, I did not put a proper tag on my latest wip so there's an even less finished version showing. Redrobes: please feel free to remove my entry or, if you have to leave it, could you point it at the image in post 12 of my thread? Only if it's not a bother to do it. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast