Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - New Port - Westfall - Vaea

Wip WIP - New Port - Westfall - Vaea

After being inspired by LonewandererD attempt at a city. I have decided to have a go at a large city for our Westafall Capital "New Port - The King's City"

To begin the process I picked an area with a great fresh water supply, strong local resources adn will serve as a major trade hum between the Northern and Southern Regions of Westfall.

The southwest of the city is bordered by moutians and brings a heavy stream of fresh water from a large moutian lake. The souther highway leads through the Stoneforge Mountians bringing a steady supply of iron for the large scale manufacture of military equipment. The local mountains are quarried for stone used throug- out the city.

To the east is the begining of the southern plains hosting a thousand villiages and many towns. The southern plains are rich in water, forests and fetile soils. The river to the southeast brings in trade from the plains primarily timber supplying the massive city contructions and the shipyards. Caravans arrive daily on the eastern highway supplying the demand for grain and livestock.

The royal and upper class areas are always closed to the general public. Only holders of a Royal Quarters Mark or a scroll with the Mark's seal are permitted.

The middle class areas are closed to the general public in the evenings only. A Haven's mark grants permission.

========
    This is the general gist of the city I am building up. I would like if possible some hlep from CG to aid in the demographics and economy. I am not trying to go into too much detail with the economy they have sims for that. The main thing I am looking for are major holes in the idea or major opportunities I may have missed.

==Large Population Support
    Fresh running water supply. Two Major Supplies plus man made aqueducts. Supplies running water for Sewer systems, canals and community fountains. I will also be featuring some wells for certain areas.
    Entertainment - Keeps the mob happy
    Trade - Plenty of coin to go around
    Manufacturing
    Employment
    Law Enforcement
    Nobility

=Economy
    High Volume Imports of Foods (Grain, Meat, Dairy, Wines, Beer, Spices) both Local and Wide imports.
    High Volume Imports of Textiles (Flax, Cotton Wool etc) both Local and Wide imports.
    Iron and other metals - Local Imports
    Gem Stones and Rare minerals - Local and Wide imports
    Primary Manufacture and Export - Military Equipment
    Primary Manufacture adn Export - Marine Craft
    Primary Manufacture and Export - Jewels and Jewellery.
    Gather and Export - Seafoods and products - Export is only minor. Serves as a large portion onf the populations food.

Thanks in advance

I forgot the Purple on the Legend. That is where the royal palace and yards reside

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Port.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	22459

Wip

I have been workign on some of the techniques for my map. Here is a small high density lower class area. This is not where it will end up on the final map but demonstrates the flavour I am working with.

Roads Test
    This one includes test for Stonework Avenues and intersections.
    In the lower and peasant class areas there are no roads as such between the buidings. In some squares and market areas the merchants and owns may have put in stone paths.

=Walls Test
    Tested techniques with the wall. Need to add Stairways

=Finer Details
    This is the Kings city so the main avenues are to be littered with Flags/Banners in the Royal Colours. Also added simple fencing around the Intersections. In the courtyards of the larger domicles I have added pits that are linked to the sewer systems and canals. Still need to add general street mess and clutter for effect.

I have also just noticed that not of the buildings have chimneys. For now we will assume they are on a central heating grid.

Name:	New Port1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	22464

Looking like its going to be a good map. I wish I could have done houses like that, as you know my early attempts at buildings turned out crap but these are quite good. Looking forward to seeing more.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think you're well on your way to a fine map, definitely will keep an eye (or two) on this one as it develops.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I really like your buildings, can't wait to see how the map turns out. Only criticism is your high density poor area lacks any kind of streets at all it seems, which doesn't seem too likely to me, but it still looks good and if it fits your city, that's cool! I've just always imagined poor districts as being unpaved or whatever. Or just not within the walls. They simply get built up/on top of later.

But I digress. All that is preference and personal world style! This is a great looking map so far. As for chimneys, I encounter that too in my maps. Then I look back, see I have like 500 buildings and think "hmm, imagination works!" =P

Wip

Hey guys here is my first real work on the map. I have refined my techniques a little and think the result is alot clearer, not so grainy.

Larb thanks for the input. The intention for the poor areas was infact to have no roads the primary boost to the pop of this city was during a massive war and at the time there was little time/resources for planning. In about two installments I will be getting into the Middle, upper and Royal areas and will show the city planning attention. oh and central heating all the way!

Well here is the map of the North West quadrant so far. It took twise as long as it should have because I had to do most of it twice. YES. I am the d@#$ head that forgot to save and then found out that GIMP does not autosave by default on Windows!
    Anyways, it was good practice.

The terracotta roof colour might need a little more red in it. But then again it does help break up the monotony of the timber and thatched rooftops

I just had a look from my Laptop and my thatching looks almost lemon! That'll change in the next one.

Name:	New Port1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	22477
    Last edited by Najmir; 03-01-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Lemon Thatching.

A quote you put on my thread.

"I have started working on a large city of my own. I doubt I will ever get it looking a nice as this..."

You underestimated yourself, i think you've already gone past me . I want to rep you now but since it would then take some time before I can rep you again I'll save it till later when you really deserve it, this is going to turn out great.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Journeyer

You have made a good start and I think it looks good keep working on it and i am sure it will come out great. City maps are time consuming and annoying but this looks like it will be great when finished

I look forward to appropriating this one when it is finished. Would you do us the favour of an unlabeled version too?

Cheers

Aval

No probs Aval. It will be a while before it is ready tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast