Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Bank.

Default City Bank.

Hi All.

I would like to propose a thread that can become a resource to the community. How about a place where people can post city, village and town maps so that Gamer Masters and others can access them quickly and easily, but with commentary kept to a minimum. Every post is a map, so it is easy to explore and utilise. If you want to rep someone you still can, and you can praise them through their profile page. Might even encourage more people to make friends.

Ideally you would upload a map and simple description so that others can download it and use it for their own games or books etc. Many GM's would love to have a handy bank of these maps because they are so time consuming to make yourself. The same is probably true of battlemaps but that would be a separate thread.

I envisage that this would not be a place for critique and comment but rather an ever-grown cache of easily accessible city maps. Perhaps even partally finished maps, and abandoned projects or buildingless street lay-outs may be posted , to be downloaded and completed by someone who is happy to have some of the groundwork done for them. I am sure people are sitting on hundreds of these kinds of maps but perhaps don't feel them to be worthy of posting. Or have been posted but are now hidden so deep in a thread that noone sees them anymore.

Is this something people would use, or am I the only GM around who'd like to have City Bank on tap?
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 03-02-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

We sort of have that in the Finished Maps forum, but you're right - they're not sorted into categories after being finished.

Strikes me as a lot of work to retroactively sort them, but there's some good thoughts in there. *ponders*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I am not suggesting that you retroactively sort them. Just that from now on there is the option to post your city maps there. If members want to re-post old maps that would be up to them.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 03-02-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're not the only one AP, we just never got around to sorting finished maps because there were not too many around. Since the guild has grown over the years that area has sort of slipped by without notice. It was sorted by author for thumbnailing purposes but maybe it's time to redo that area and sort it into something that resembles the structure of the WIP section...galaxy, solar system, world, continent, regional, city, structure, dungeon.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Probably need to bounce this of Arcana/RobA to see if it can be done within the new board software.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think its a great idea - thought of a similar idea some years ago.. .and again this summer. Its always great to have ready maps on hand - and especially a good structure. Something with "setting"/"size" ... ie Fantasy/City, Sci-fi/Bar or Sci-fi/Universe
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It could probably be done by setting up prefixes in those forums. Not sure if you can search/sort/filter on prefixes though.

Anyone can already use tags to identify maps, which can be searched.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Having some form of searchable thumbnail gallery would be wonderful, but that's perhaps not something available with the software on the forums. In the meantime I know that many of the guild cross post their maps to the deviantArt group the Cartography Guild and there's an attempt to keep it ordered, so there's a growing bank of city and town maps there.

some of my friends that GM also asked me why the forum wasnt easily accessible for GM's to grab some maps so if one can find a good way to sort this out i think it'll make a lot of people happy (and attrack more interested people . Setting up and maintaining good taxonomy however is difficult, especially when the number of posts gets big. I dont know the vBulletin software but maybe one can set up a taxonomy and use a template to force category/tag selection on posts in the finished map section to be used by some scraper...

I think this sounds like a good idea. From my perspective, because I just like to make town and village maps, trying new ideas and things. But I could just leave them as "blanks" or with a simple description of what kind of structures I had in my head when I made them. (I was reading about the Roman Barbegal Mill the other day and can already imagine a small settlement around that kind of "factory").
    It'd be nice to dump these kind of fickle maps I make somewhere that I'll never use, so that someone else might be able to get some use out of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast