Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village of Northfield

Guild Member

Map Village of Northfield

Hi All,

First village map i've produced in a while using a CC3 style from one of the annuals. As always comments and feedback greatfully received.

Regards....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village of Northfield (2).jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	25577  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice... would like to see a colored version as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats a nice little village, and I agree with SG, I would like to see a colored version as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Member

Hi folks,

Thanks for the comments so far. The style i actually used is a B&W style which i'd never used before. I can easily recreate it using a colour style though. It's funny i'd never tried B&W before but i do see what you mean about perhaps using colour.

Regards...

Blog Entries

Black and white maps can be quite ok (especially if you only have a b/w printer anyway), but when I look at your map, its very light, and I think that is what makes me miss the color - if you used heavier shading/crosshatching/whatever to darken the map, then I probably wouldn't have thought about missing colors
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I find myself in agreement with Tilt on this one. Up the contrast a little and maybe put in some pen-marks (woodcut, crosshatched, stippled, etc.) and it'll look beautiful in B&W. As is, it looks darn good!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I find myself in agreement with Tilt on this one. Up the contrast a little and maybe put in some pen-marks (woodcut, crosshatched, stippled, etc.) and it'll look beautiful in B&W. As is, it looks darn good!
    Hi Again,

Do you have any examples of what your suggesting ? I'd like to take a look and then give it a go !

Thanks again...

Blog Entries

Here is a quick test, just with some shading with a soft brush ... haven't payed attention to hitting the edges perfectly - just a quick makeover

Name:  city-shading-test.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  12.7 KB
    regs tilt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Here's another technique that might help as well. It's using the "curves" function in gimp to enhance the dark and light without losing your middle ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contrast.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	25615  

For screen display, I think I'd just make the background a light grey instead of white. The white is perfect for print, though.

Do you have the latest patch for CC3? My understanding is that they've finally managed to implement anti-aliasing, which will soften those "jaggies" on angled lines. I don't know if it's a sheet effect you have to activate or if it does it automatically. You'll have to ask a regular CC3 user for details, as I haven't even opened CC3 in more than a year.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast