Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March Challenge Entry: Iwaizumi

Blog Entries

Thanks, this is yesterday evenings efforts. I think there's still some more to do tho. Gotta get in that inset regional view somewhere as well.

I have tried to match up some of the colors to the reference image and also tried to match up the time age of the piece since its about 1200 AD or whatever. I.e. lost the computery feel to any of it and gone for something which is supposed to be like a water color piece with ink on top. I cant decide at this point whether to have an inset regional map or not. Part of me says that what I have on the main map is enough.

Its a bit of a problem with this map spec in that it sort of wants to be a town battle map and also a regional map as well. Hard to know what scale to set it at. So for that reason my map is more of a diagramatic thing with houses represented more than being actual renders of the real things.

Knowing that a tannery uses copious quantities of urine to soften the leather then I think that should be the farthest downstream !

For the same but less severe reason I put the mill next up and then the houses can all have clear water

I made the shrine over the river where the two come together. I thought that maybe the joining of the two flows could be significant to them for some reason. Ok so my oriental spiritual knowledge is pretty thin and based on stuff like Monkey Magic where they have elemental spirits etc etc. (Call me a sad case - cos I am !)

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EntryWIP2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	22998  

Blog Entries

Thanks Ravs. I was a little unsure when I first hammered the color controls but I have grown to like it. The map is nothing at all like what I had in mind when I started but I like the feel of it now as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is way better than any 3d terrain map, very artsy and fits the theme. I'd say add a few more buildings and call it done...looks kinda empty.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Thanks Ascension and I think your right. We have 250 people to house and with something like 3 to 4 per house thats between 60-80 houses less a few given that the governors house probably has something like 20+ in it. I have about 50 so far so about 20 more should be about right. Probably able to do more tomorrow now. Looks like I will have plenty enough time to tweak it a bit more yet.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics of the number of houses etc when using this style. The imagination can paint the rest of them in. Don't ruin the feel of it for the sake of mathematical accuracy.

Blog Entries

Well I added a few more houses. I thought Ascension was probably right in that there should be a few more. A couple more tweaks and this attachment is bigger at quarter size original as its my final WIP with only two days to go. See y'all at the vote.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	EntryWIP3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	23211  

Blog Entries

Mneh - here's another slightly more marked up version for what good it will do me - and all those would could not locate the town square before.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	EntryWIP4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	615.1 KB 
ID:	23319  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12