Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March Entry: Snow Country

Default Almost done - just 3 days work so far...

Corners are done - I plan to place a compass rose and scale bar in that open bottom righthand corner. All left to do after that is the inset regional map - then I"m done.

@ Ghostman - I found the seam problem (thought I fixed it before) I fixed it this time.

Getting real close, if not tomorrow then I'll finish this on Sunday.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iwaisume-almost..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	22593  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Not sure of the compass rose colors

Done with the bottom right corner - placed a compass rose and scale bar. I played around with different color combinations, but this the best I could come up with. Any better color ideas for a rose?

Next to do the inset regional then I'll be done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	iwaizumi-rose..jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	22608  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-07-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think the colors are fine but I wonder if the 'stroke' around the compass rose isn't a little heavy.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

fantastic - really like the small details, the riverbank, snow on the roof and so forth. Agree with Steel General about the stroke on the compass - and the red/orange gate looks a little crooked (but perhaps thats on purpose?) - great map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I was pondering compasses earlier today and what a good compass would look like for this project. The one you created is very interesting and attractive, but it has a heavy Roman feel to it. It may be historically authentic--I don't know--but it doesn't feel Oriental.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

The seam issue still exists. It's not as bad as it was in the original, but the one on the lower of the two houses is still quite noticeable(the top one blends in enough that it's not that bad if the other was removed). See screenshot:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot1..png 
Views:	64 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	22611
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I was pondering compasses earlier today and what a good compass would look like for this project. The one you created is very interesting and attractive, but it has a heavy Roman feel to it. It may be historically authentic--I don't know--but it doesn't feel Oriental.
    Sadly it's not easy to find pictures of historical Japanese compasses. A Chinese compass would be a readily available model, but might not be accurate, nor make for a particularly pretty symbol

I used a Japanese Kamen - family crest symbol, like the Genpei Map - Feb 09 Challenge... This kamen symbol is a fern like plant - as most Japanese kamen depict flowers and plants. Maybe its the gold color, and I should replace that something more Japanese, perhaps white on indigo? I know it looks like a Roman eagle crest, but thats a plant.

The stroke maybe heavy, but I tryed it at its original size and it seemed too small. Enlarging it enlarged the stroke.

At Ghostman, I'll try to tweak that roofline seam, but... we'll see.

So its authentic Japanese.

GP

PS: there may be mistakes in these posts - but I can't see the text as I am typing it - my monitor is too dark, maybe using a lighter color font for entering posts?
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Snow Country map done - I think...

Not that there's not a chance to yet tweak this map if I have to, but for all other intents and purposes, I think I'm done!

I once again played with the houses with the visible seam - I think I got it this time...

The torii gate, I slightly rotatied, then shortened the column on the east side - looks better.

I changed colors on the compass rose - still not happy, but it works.

And I completed my regional map - so I think I'm done. I thought about doing the regional in snow white, but settled for summer green - ain't too sure which way to go on that.

Errors, problems, point them out. I'll still tweak if I must...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	iwaizumi-final..jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	22633  
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

GP: your scale for the inset replicated and sent its progeny off to the southwest corner of your town square.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast