Thread: new to the board

Post new to the board

Howdy,

I'm new to the board. I've been mapping for a little while. I have CC3, but I can't figure out how to use it. So instead, I just drew a map, scanned it, and have been doing some photoshop work with it. I sure would like to learn how to use CC3, to do stuff on the scale that WotC did for Forgotten Realms.

here are a few examples of my many megabyte sized 300dpi layered map, of my homebrew campaign setting:

Any tips, help or comments would be appreciated. I'd sure love to put it in CC3. Because like I've said, I have a massive photshop file, which has a commerce map, highway map, city map, province map... all in layers.

Hope everyone here is well.

Original Geo Terrain got turned into a color updated version.

Well, as an avid CC3 user (I use it pretty much exclusively), I suggest the first thing you want to do is follow all tutorials etc. Use that to make 'practice maps' and then you should have some basic skills to do you maps (which look pretty nice to me).

CHEERS!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hiya Slade, and welcome to the guild. That map sure looks like a labour of love. I really like the mountain symbols and the colour scheme you've chosen. We have some very good CC3 users here, who I'm sure would be delighted to give you some tips to help you get started.

I'll second Rav's comment on the mountains. Did you draw them all by hand?

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'll second Rav's comment on the mountains. Did you draw them all by hand?

-Rob A>
    Actually, I took a hand drawn map of Middle Earth, and then cut and pasted individual mountains. It took a few hours, but it had a nice effect.

I've got so many additions and things loaded into CC3, I dont even know where to begin. How would I go about refreshing CC3 without uninstalling it and then reinstalling it?

Hey, Slade: Welcome! Wow--those maps are detailed with a capital "D"! Like Ravs, says, a lobor of love (although added the superflous "U" to the word "labor" ), and I think you've done so much work in PS that I wonder at your desire to switch to CC3. I mean, if you can already do that in one program, why learn another in order to do the same? (Unless, of course, you have other motivations for learning CC, that is.)

Welcome to the Guild!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    I've got so many additions and things loaded into CC3, I dont even know where to begin. How would I go about refreshing CC3 without uninstalling it and then reinstalling it?
    What do you have in CC3?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Hey, Slade: Welcome! Wow--those maps are detailed with a capital "D"! Like Ravs, says, a lobor of love (although added the superflous "U" to the word "labor" ), and I think you've done so much work in PS that I wonder at your desire to switch to CC3. I mean, if you can already do that in one program, why learn another in order to do the same? (Unless, of course, you have other motivations for learning CC, that is.)

Welcome to the Guild!
    Well, I like my maps... but they've always been a 'temp fix'. Its hard to edit something with its 400megs large. And working inlayers,ugh. I have to delete names, then add a new layer, merge it. pah. Also, I would like to make cities and stuff.